From: FromTheRafters on
"Rube Bumpkin" <Someone(a)somewhere.world> wrote in message
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>> "Dave Cohen" <user(a)example.net> wrote in message
>>> Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
>>> 'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
>>> forever. Avira doesn't find anything.
>>
>> Submit one of the suspect files to Virustotal or Jotti to help
>> ascertain if it is a false positive.
>
> I did that. When it came back 'negative', I checked the MBAM forums.

Even the best programs can and will FP - it is nice to have a
programmatical consensus available online. When online is not possible,
it is nice to have an alternative program available locally for a second
opinion.

From: Dave Cohen on
Dave Cohen wrote:
> Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
> 'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
> forever. Avira doesn't find anything.

All is well. My 12/3 update installed 3287 and the scan indicated
problems I stated.
Today (12/4) I updated and installed 3289, full scan showed zero problems.
One curious note: I don't recall having to re-start the computer after
yesterday's update. Today I received and responded to that message.
Thanks for all your replies.
From: Buffalo on

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
>

>>> Pure coincidence of a rash of False Positives!
>
>> I really don't believe that explanation!
>> Buffalo
>

> Sorry, that's the way it is.

I guess so. That kind of coincidence just throws up a red flag to me.
Thanks for the response.
Buffalo

From: Leonard Agoado on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote

> For example if both entities stole their defs from
> PCButts - all three would FP on the same files for the same malware...

FTR,

Do you imagine, in the scenario described above, either entity
functioning well enough to make it to that point?

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado(a)msn.com

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>

>>> I really don't believe that explanation!
>>> Buffalo

>> Sorry, that's the way it is.

| I guess so. That kind of coincidence just throws up a red flag to me.
| Thanks for the response.
| Buffalo

I understand.

--