From: Dave Cohen on
Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
forever. Avira doesn't find anything.
From: Victek on
> Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
> 'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
> forever. Avira doesn't find anything.
..
I would trust MBAM, but if you want a second opinion install Hitman Pro
(free thirty day license) or SuperAntiSpyware. I find that AV is
notoriously unable to detect the types of malware that MBAM, SAS etc. are
designed to find/remove.

From: Rube Bumpkin on
FredW wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:54:29 -0500, Dave Cohen <user(a)example.net> wrote:
>
>> Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
>> 'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
>> forever. Avira doesn't find anything.
>
> Are you sure it is MBAM and not Avast?
> ;-)
>
> I would wait for the next update and then scan again.
>
> In the meantime for a second opinion
> - SuperAntiSpyware (Free Edition)
> http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

This was a problem with Update 3286 which was only out there for a
little while. It was replaced with 3287, then 3288.

There were several threads on the MBAM forums.

RB
From: FromTheRafters on
"Dave Cohen" <user(a)example.net> wrote in message
> Just updated MalwareByte and scanned system. Getting over 400
> 'Trojan.Downloader' messages on files that have been on the system
> forever. Avira doesn't find anything.

Submit one of the suspect files to Virustotal or Jotti to help ascertain
if it is a false positive.

From: Buffalo on

FredW wrote:

> Looks like the same kind of problem Avast had today.

Huh? Why did MBAM and Avast have problems around the same time?
What is the connection??
Do they share or steal each others definitions?
Buffalo