From: Xet on

My computer often redirects me on Google searches and sometimes gives me
a random pop-up in the form of a new tab. All of these redirecting
pages have the same icon that you see on the tab before it goes to
another site.

In addition to this problem, I cannot go online to anything containing
update.microsoft.com. I tried to go to Windows update and it won't let
me connect. Tried to go to MS update and it won't let me connect. I
put in Google, update.microsoft.com, and it won't let me connect. I go
to a random search in a site, type update.microsoft.com and it won't let
me connect.

I am running Windows XP Home edition. I have looked into my HOST file
and it only shows 127.0.0.1. I have used McAfee & Ad-aware twice. I
ran Malwarebytes once and it found some registry error which I removed
but I'm still having the same problems.

--
Xet
Xet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/216524.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: ruic on
Try repairing Windows Update

net.exe stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
net.exe start wuauserv

If you are computer savvy then you can copy all of those commands to a batch
file and run them from there.

Rui

From: Xet on

I'm not tech savvy so I have no idea what your instructions mean. Could
you dumb it down?

From: Peter Foldes on
Xet

Run the 2 following free tools to fix this issue. Do not listen to the other 2
answers here,because they mean nothing

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: Xet on

Here are the following programs that I ran from various different help
forums.

SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes
Ad-aware
DDS
FixVundo
GMER
HiJackThis
RootRepeal
Spybot S&D
SystemLook

In some of these programs, they are ran just to show the log files. All
have picked up nothing on scan (all meaning SAS, MalwareBytes, Ad-aware,
FixVundo, & SpyBot S&D).