From: tpsilva on

Thanks for all your support.

--
tpsilva
tpsilva's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/72293.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/antivirus-software/1323725.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: FromTheRafters on
Thanks for all of the information that you so graciously offered.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>

| David H. Lipman wrote:
| [snip]

>>> BTW. what does quarantining actually do? Just change the extension
>>> or ?
>>>Buffalo

>> It depends on the software but it ususlly envloves placing the
>> suspect file in an encrypted "container" such that it is not
>> accessible by any other software or process other than the anti virus
>> application iself.

>> It is akin to locking a patient with Bubanic Plague in a hospital
>> isolation room/ward.

| Thanks for explaining it in a way that even I can comprehend.
| Buffalo :)
PS:: Is that akin into changing it's extension to something that only that AV
| program will recognize?

Again, it depends on the software (that is the AV concept of a quarantine)

The file could be MOVED from its original location and stored in aother location in an
encrypted format.

--
Dave

From: gufus on
Hello, David!

You wrote on Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:27:29 -0400:

| The file could be MOVED from its original location and stored in aother
| location in an encrypted format.

What a person needs is a program to /fry/ it

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_to_permanently_delete_data.php
--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "gufus" <stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca>

| Hello, David!

| You wrote on Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:27:29 -0400:

| |
|| The file could be MOVED from its original location and stored in aother
|| location in an encrypted format.

| What a person needs is a program to /fry/ it

| http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_to_permanently_delete_data.php

Not needed.

--
Dave