From: Dave F. on
Hi

I'm running XP SP3.
I use Firefox as default.

I've a bug that launches two or three copies of IE into the services
(they don't immediately appear on screen).

After a few minutes it preforms one or more of the following:

Displays adverts in an IE window
Plays an audio advert (not sure how it does that)
Mutes the sound completely.

I've run the latest versions of ad-aware & avast anti virus but with no
luck.

Using Sysinternals Process Explorer I can see the following:
(> represents a child service)

System>smss.exe>csrs.exe>winlogon.exe>services.exe

A child of this is svchost.exe that has the command line of:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch

A child of this is iexplore.exe that has the command line of:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -Embedding

A child of this is another one or two copies of iexplore.exe with the
command line of:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3752
CREDAT:145411 or 145412

Using Sysinternals Autoruns I disabled DcomLaunch & rebooted.
It prevented the problem, but it appears DcomLaunch is essential for
Windows to run.

I've run out of ideas for a solution, so it's over to you. Any ideas?

Hope I've been clear.

Cheers
Dave F.
From: Randem on
You will need to run some other Malware & Spyware utilities to complete the
job. Try MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware to accomplish this.

Also read http://www.randem.com/virusproblems.html

--
The Top Script Generator for Jordan Russell's Inno Setup -
http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: sgopus on
Try the latest version of malwarebytes, I'm sure it's malware that causing
the problem.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an
expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: undisclosed on

It seems as if your system is definately under some spyware influence .

All the processes mentioned by u are genuine....except the
"csrs.exe"....
I hope that it is not a spelling mistake....pls check.

If it is actually csrs.exe then get rid of it.
There must be some spyware on ur system that is showing these adverts
on ur system.
You should also use some other antispyware that can clean ur system
I will suggest u to use Advanced System Protector as it is always
loaded with the latest definitions of infections and is efficient enough
to get rid of such adwares.
as far as I am concerned it is the best antispyware I have used so far
.so try this.
dis is available at cnet.
Hope ur problem wud b solved soon.

All D best!!!