From: NJITGS on
Recently I attempted to backup my Outlook Express using the Windows NT
Backup Utility and when I tried to restore the files to the new directory
they did not properly restore to the correct location and when I try to
delete the misplaced folder it will not allow me to, it gives the following
message:

X Cannot delete Outlook Express: The file name you specified is not valid
or to long.
Specify a different file name.

It is located in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-4595-8F62-6253114299D2}\jkl

The last three letters at the end of the file path is what I renamed the
file to in attempt that it would then delete but no such luck.

Now I have 6 years worth of emails with attachments (over 1Gb of data)
erroneously located on my computer and fearing that it will cause problems
later on.

Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack
2

Could anyone please help?

Frantic in New England

From: Alister on
On 15/07/2010 21:36, NJITGS wrote:
> Recently I attempted to backup my Outlook Express using the Windows NT
> Backup Utility and when I tried to restore the files to the new directory
> they did not properly restore to the correct location and when I try to
> delete the misplaced folder it will not allow me to, it gives the following
> message:
>
> X Cannot delete Outlook Express: The file name you specified is not valid
> or to long.
> Specify a different file name.
>
> It is located in the following location:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-4595-8F62-6253114299D2}\jkl
>
> The last three letters at the end of the file path is what I renamed the
> file to in attempt that it would then delete but no such luck.
>
> Now I have 6 years worth of emails with attachments (over 1Gb of data)
> erroneously located on my computer and fearing that it will cause problems
> later on.
>
> Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack
> 2
>
> Could anyone please help?
>
> Frantic in New England

The Maximum length of a file path, including the filename and extension
is 260 characters in 32bit Windows.

However, the path you have specified is only 133 characters in length,
although I would guess the files and folders you wish to delete would
make it longer.

There are two things you can try.

First, open a command prompt and navigate your way to the offending
folder you specified (ie one step above the folder you wish to delete),
then use the command del <foldername> /f /s
This will delete the folder, forcing deletion of read only files and
deleting the contents of sub-folders.

Sometimes it is possible to delete things using the command prompt which
you can't using Windows Explorer.

If that doesn't work, try sharing a folder lower down the path (for
instance "Identities" in your example), and then access the folder via
the share - so you would browse to \\MachineName\Identities

This shortens the path, and may allow you to delete the files.

HTH

Alister
From: NJITGS on
This part of your instruction had me a bit confused:

"then use the command del <foldername> /f /s"

Would you care to elaborate or be more specific?

Not sure exactly what I was supposed to do there but I browsed to the
location of the folder and copied the file path from the address bar, then
pasted into the RUN Command line and it brought me to the folder. Then as
an alternate measure I opend the commad prompt and typed "command del <then
the file path> and pressed Delete but nothing, said there were too many
parameters, then when reattempting it said "command is not recognised as an
internal or external command"...

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Backup & Restore OE Data
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx <=includes info on Windows Mail in Vista

Importing OE Data (all DBX files, including Folders.dbx)
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

Importing a single DBX file
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

OE Quick Backup (OEQB)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Alister on
On 15/07/2010 22:30, NJITGS wrote:
> This part of your instruction had me a bit confused:
>
> "then use the command del<foldername> /f /s"
>
> Would you care to elaborate or be more specific?
>
> Not sure exactly what I was supposed to do there but I browsed to the
> location of the folder and copied the file path from the address bar, then
> pasted into the RUN Command line and it brought me to the folder. Then as
> an alternate measure I opend the commad prompt and typed "command del<then
> the file path> and pressed Delete but nothing, said there were too many
> parameters, then when reattempting it said "command is not recognised as an
> internal or external command"...
<snip>

Open a command prompt - go to Start -> Run and type "cmd" (without the
quotes) and then press the enter key.

in the window that opens, you will need to navigate to the desired
folder by typing "cd" (without the quotes) followed by a space and then
the full path of where you want to go to (I believe it was
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local
Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-4595-8F62-6253114299D2}

If when you open the command prompt you are already at
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator
then you need to type "cd Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-4595-8F62-6253114299D2}" (without the quotes)

Once there type "del <foldername> /f /s" (without the quotes, and
substituting your folder name for <foldername> without the <>) and press
enter.

Alister