From: Compfix on

"Kerry Brown" <kerry(a)kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
> Compfix wrote:
>> I found an odd entry in my registry of 'Pocket soft' which referred
>> to 2 dll files patch32w.dll and pw32a.dll, both of which were in my
>> windows directory as opposed to the normal location for dll files. Has
>> anyone got any ideas what these are for and if they are malware
>> or virus.
>> Bob
>
> Pocket Soft has been around for years.
>
> http://www.pocketsoft.com/
>
> I remember using rtpatch with Clipper a dBase compiler from the DOS days.
> They are a legitimate company. Some game companies use their products to
> update their games without a reinstall. If the files are from Pocket Soft
> they are OK. What does your anti-malware software say when you scan them?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown

I have scanned with fully updated spybot, adaware, cwshredder and sophos AV
and none of them report anything.

Bob

From: Tony on

Kerry Brown wrote:
> Compfix wrote:
> > I found an odd entry in my registry of 'Pocket soft' which referred
> > to 2 dll files patch32w.dll and pw32a.dll, both of which were in my
> > windows directory as opposed to the normal location for dll files. Has
> > anyone got any ideas what these are for and if they are malware
> > or virus.
> > Bob
>
> Pocket Soft has been around for years.
>
> http://www.pocketsoft.com/
>
> I remember using rtpatch with Clipper a dBase compiler from the DOS days.
> They are a legitimate company. Some game companies use their products to
> update their games without a reinstall. If the files are from Pocket Soft
> they are OK. What does your anti-malware software say when you scan them?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown

Bob,

Patches made by RTPatch (which does indeed date back to DOS days in
1991) are being distributed by game companies as well as just about
every other type of medium-to-large business, and a large number of
government users as well. pw32a.dll is used for Microsoft's Windows
Installer (MSI) style patches, whereas patchw32.dll is for non-MSI
style patches.

If you've downloaded a patch in the past 15 years, chances are you've
used RTPatch before. In fact, the odds are pretty good that you're
getting RTPatch patches on a semi-regular basis from a number of
sources. It's "behind the scenes" in many large scale software
distribution updates.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to use the contact
page on our site to get in touch with an engineer.

Regards,

Tony O-
Pocket Soft, Inc.
www.pocketsoft.com

From: Compfix on

"Tony" <tolivero(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> Compfix wrote:
>> > I found an odd entry in my registry of 'Pocket soft' which referred
>> > to 2 dll files patch32w.dll and pw32a.dll, both of which were in my
>> > windows directory as opposed to the normal location for dll files. Has
>> > anyone got any ideas what these are for and if they are malware
>> > or virus.
>> > Bob
>>
>> Pocket Soft has been around for years.
>>
>> http://www.pocketsoft.com/
>>
>> I remember using rtpatch with Clipper a dBase compiler from the DOS days.
>> They are a legitimate company. Some game companies use their products to
>> update their games without a reinstall. If the files are from Pocket Soft
>> they are OK. What does your anti-malware software say when you scan them?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>
> Bob,
>
> Patches made by RTPatch (which does indeed date back to DOS days in
> 1991) are being distributed by game companies as well as just about
> every other type of medium-to-large business, and a large number of
> government users as well. pw32a.dll is used for Microsoft's Windows
> Installer (MSI) style patches, whereas patchw32.dll is for non-MSI
> style patches.
>
> If you've downloaded a patch in the past 15 years, chances are you've
> used RTPatch before. In fact, the odds are pretty good that you're
> getting RTPatch patches on a semi-regular basis from a number of
> sources. It's "behind the scenes" in many large scale software
> distribution updates.
>
> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to use the contact
> page on our site to get in touch with an engineer.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony O-
> Pocket Soft, Inc.
> www.pocketsoft.com

Thanks for that Tony. I was just a bit concerned as they only appeared on 1
pc on the network. I noticed the Pocketsoft entry when I was checking some
registry settings. If they are related to MS downloads, then I suppose it
could be office 2007 or Vista beta programs which were downloaded to try on
the PC in question - although the files were dated 2004 :-) .

Bob

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: What is this software?