From: dimke.fax on
Dear all,

I just got one more used box, but with only 400MHz / AMD K3.
So it makes no sense to install 2009 or above, and I decided to
install
Mandrake 10.1.

Unfortunately I cannot find a resource for "kompozer" running with
this kernel.

So, my question: Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG html editor like
Kompozer, or is it possible to compile and get it run under Mandrake
10.x?

If I see this correctly, "Bluefish" does not support WYSIWYG.

Many thanks for any hint,
best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm
From: ray on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:14:41 -0800, dimke.fax(a)uni.de wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just got one more used box, but with only 400MHz / AMD K3. So it makes
> no sense to install 2009 or above, and I decided to install
> Mandrake 10.1.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot find a resource for "kompozer" running with this
> kernel.
>
> So, my question: Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG html editor like
> Kompozer, or is it possible to compile and get it run under Mandrake
> 10.x?
>
> If I see this correctly, "Bluefish" does not support WYSIWYG.
>
> Many thanks for any hint,
> best regards,
>
> Markus

1) there is no such thing as "what you see is what you get" in any
application. The best you can hope for is "what you get is no surprise".

2) installing a several year old OS is not the way to go. I strongly
recommend you look at a current distribution. Suggestions: a minimal
Debian install, Elive, Puppy, Damn Small, Vector.

I typically eschew html editors. IMHO - unless you're doing a major site
with 30 or more pages, you're much better off learning some elementary
XHTML and CSS and doing it all with a text editor - it ain't rocket
science. A good reference is "Integrated HTML and CSS" by DeBolt. You
might also want to learn something about web page design - in which case
"Web Design for Dummies" is good.

With a recent distro, you'll have access to about a dozen html editors if
you're still so inclined. I've found that they all produce bloated
unmaintainable HTML.
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 18 January 2010 16:14 in alt.os.linux.mandrake, somebody
identifying as dimke.fax(a)uni.de wrote...

> Dear all,
>
> I just got one more used box, but with only 400MHz / AMD K3.
> So it makes no sense to install 2009 or above, and I decided to
> install Mandrake 10.1.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot find a resource for "kompozer" running with
> this kernel.
>
> So, my question: Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG html editor like
> Kompozer, or is it possible to compile and get it run under Mandrake
> 10.x?
>
> If I see this correctly, "Bluefish" does not support WYSIWYG.
>
> Many thanks for any hint,
> best regards,

I have always liked Quanta. It's not a "drag and click" webdesign tool
like, say, Dreamweaver - not that I've used Dreamweaver myself as I
don't do Windows, but I have a few friends who use it - but it does
have an editor with syntax support and you can immediately see your
changes in the preview section.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: dimke.fax on
Hi,

> > I just got one more used box, but with only 400MHz / AMD K3. So it makes
> > no sense to install 2009 or above, and I decided to install
> > Mandrake 10.1.
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot find a resource for "kompozer" running with this
> > kernel.
> >
> > So, my question: Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG html editor like
> > Kompozer, or is it possible to compile and get it run under Mandrake
> > 10.x?
> >
> > If I see this correctly, "Bluefish" does not support WYSIWYG.

> 1) there is no such thing as "what you see is what you get" in any
> application. The best you can hope for is "what you get is no surprise".

Agree :-)

> 2) installing a several year old OS is not the way to go. I strongly
> recommend you look at a current distribution. Suggestions: a minimal
> Debian install, Elive, Puppy, Damn Small, Vector.

Why? It's hidden behind a masquerading NAT router / firewall. I
portscan my machines in short intervals to see if there's a security
hole somewhere, and so on.

But, well, maybe there's a way to slim down 2009.1 with stripping off
unneccessary processes etc to get it run also?

> I typically eschew html editors. IMHO - unless you're doing a major site
> with 30 or more pages, you're much better off learning some elementary

That's the point. - There's nothing technical behind, instead there
are tons of formattings, which I do not intend to edit per hand.
That's just annoying. So there's no way around a WYSIWYG editor.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for any hint,
best regards,

Markus

From: Jerry Heyman on
dimke.fax(a)uni.de wrote:

> That's the point. - There's nothing technical behind,
instead there
> are tons of formattings, which I do not intend to edit per
hand.
> That's just annoying. So there's no way around a WYSIWYG
editor.

> Any ideas?

There was an Motif/Lestif based HTML editor called xhtml
several years ago. Having a hard time locating it via
google though :-(

> Many thanks for any hint,
> best regards,
>
> Markus
>
> --
> Please reply to group only.
> For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-
kessler.de/email.htm

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Congress does not draw
to it's halls