From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:32:54 +0000, chris wrote:

[...]
> OK. I am still partial to sticking with Mepis as I've been using it for
> the best part of five years now, but on trying out one of the betas I
> was very underwhelmed with what there was. At best it was a point
> release, not a full version change. I mean, where's the use of nVidia
> drivers and compiz out of the box, which was there in Mepis 6?

Nvidia drivers are easily installed from the Mepis X assistant. I'm
personally not a user of desktop effects, and would not want them part of
the install.

> Warren needs to let go of the reins before it goes completely under,
> IHMO.

Development has been painfully slow due to Warren's need to earn a
living, but is picking up pace now. Mepis has never been a bleeding edge
distro, concentrating more on stability and good hardware detection. This
in part is due to it being a "one man band".

I'm looking forward to using Mepis 8 as my main distribution for at least
as long as it takes to get KDE 4 to a level of configurability that suits
my needs.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: chris on
Chris Whelan wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:32:54 +0000, chris wrote:
>
> [...]
>> OK. I am still partial to sticking with Mepis as I've been using it for
>> the best part of five years now, but on trying out one of the betas I
>> was very underwhelmed with what there was. At best it was a point
>> release, not a full version change. I mean, where's the use of nVidia
>> drivers and compiz out of the box, which was there in Mepis 6?
>
> Nvidia drivers are easily installed from the Mepis X assistant. I'm
> personally not a user of desktop effects, and would not want them part of
> the install.

Yes, I know they are easy to install. I still think it was a step
backward to remove them from the autodetection routine. I imagine it's
down space constraints on the CD.

>> Warren needs to let go of the reins before it goes completely under,
>> IHMO.
>
> Development has been painfully slow due to Warren's need to earn a
> living, but is picking up pace now. Mepis has never been a bleeding edge
> distro, concentrating more on stability and good hardware detection. This
> in part is due to it being a "one man band".

I agree with all that, but Mepis is no longer novel in any of that
anymore. The only USP it has now is that it's based on debian, which is
still a big plus.

Another (unique?) aspect I liked about Mandriva over Mepis is that it
removes all unused drivers from the installation. It does bug me to see
Mepis trying to configure the, for example, intel810 drivers at every
boot on a desktop AMD machine! Also, Mandriva includes all config
changes made on the live session, including the Firefox history. That is
very neat indeed. Mepis does include some of the config changes, but not
the rest.

> I'm looking forward to using Mepis 8 as my main distribution for at least
> as long as it takes to get KDE 4 to a level of configurability that suits
> my needs.

My previous tests with KDE 4 were pretty fruitless, but now it seems
pretty mature.
From: Maurice Batey on
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:32:54 +0000, chris wrote:

> However, dolphin seems like a step backwards

My conclusion also.

> KDE 3.5.10 is available in the repos, allegedly...

KDE3 can ne installed by typing "urpmi task-kde3" as root.
(It asks some questions; I just used best guess there!)
You will then have both KDE3 & KDE4 available, and can choose
between then at Login.

There is a very active Mandriva newsgroup, by the way:

alt.os.linux.mandriva

I'm still checking 2009.0 out...
--
/\/\aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

From: chris on
Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:32:54 +0000, chris wrote:
>
>> However, dolphin seems like a step backwards
>
> My conclusion also.
>
>> KDE 3.5.10 is available in the repos, allegedly...
>
> KDE3 can ne installed by typing "urpmi task-kde3" as root.
> (It asks some questions; I just used best guess there!)

Useful to know, thanks.

> You will then have both KDE3 & KDE4 available, and can choose
> between then at Login.
>
> There is a very active Mandriva newsgroup, by the way:
>
> alt.os.linux.mandriva

Ah, OK. I'll head on over there for more specific help.
Cheers.
From: F8BOE on
Yes.