From: Dan on
I'm using Access 2007. I'm trying to design a many to many relationship.

3 tables, 2 fields per table:
tblCities = ID(pk), City
tblZipcodes = ID(pk), Zipcode
tblCitiesAndZips = CityID(fk), ZipcodeID(fk)

I have created 2 one-to-many relationships. I want to see all 327
combinations of cities and zip codes. I am having trouble setting up a query.

Field: ID
Table: tblCities
Show: Unchecked

Field: City
Table: tblCities
Show: Unchecked

Field: ID
Table: tblZipcodes
Show: Checked

Field: Zipcode
Table: tblZipcodes
Show: Checked

If I try to run this, I get no results.
If I delete the relationships AND the junction table, I do see some results,
but they're not exactly what I expected. I see all 327 cities in the left
column, and the FIRST zip code in the right column repeated 327 times. Then
I see the same 327 cities repeated again, with the second zip code, etc. For
a total of 327x327 records.

I have tried to set the Fields and Tables in my query to the fields in the
junction table.
I have tried to write criteria, such as CityID=ZipcodeID or
tblCities.ID=tblZipcodes.ID but I am still not getting the results I'm
looking for.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.
Dan
From: golfinray on
Allen Browne has an excellent example of just what you need at
www.allenbrowne.com
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

From: Steve on
Dan,

Double check your data; each city should have its own unique zipcode.

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: Dan on
Milton, I found a table of US zip codes at Allen's web site, but I'm sure
that's not what you meant. I already have such a table. I can't find the
example you're referring to. Do you know the document title?
Dan

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:56:47 -0400, "Steve" <notmyemail(a)address.com> wrote:

>Double check your data; each city should have its own unique zipcode.

What is the zipcode for Boise, Idaho? There are 12.
What city is zipcode 83660? There are 2.

You're dead wrong on this, Steve.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]