From: KTA on
Hi,

We are working on large program with Master Program Schedule that has
different stream of work inserted projects. Most of the tasks/activities are
linked within their phases and have no external links. The Phases are also
not linked as most of them have different starting dates and there is no
sequencing in them.

I need to draw Network diagram and generate a Program Critical Path. When i
do so, it appears with very weird diagram that doesn't depict reality and
skip few streams of work all together.

When i choose the option, show multiple critical paths, it comes up with
almost everything is critical.

So is there any better way of doing it Or am i missing something fundamental
in terms of task(s) or phase linking.

Looking forward to hearing from experts.

thanks in advance.

Regards,

KTA

From: Rob Schneider on
Without looking at what you have it's only speculation; my hunch is that
since you have the different streams of work (in subprojects) were are
not linked you ar using date constraints to control the dates. When you
do that, you destroy Project's capability to compute the critical path,
as you have seen.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: Trevor Rabey on
Your instinct is probably right and you probably are missing something
fundamental about predecessors, successors and the critical path.
Are we talking about a mpp file with other mpp files inserted into it?
Does every task have at least one FS predecessor and at least one FS
successor?
Do any of the tasks have predecessor/successor links with lag, positive or
negative?
Do any tasks have any date constraint, ie is everything ASAP?
I suspect that you have many tasks with no successor.
You can check easily by inserting the Successors column/field or Windows,
Split and then select the Predecessors and Successors form (by
right-clicking on the grey area to the right).
If you send the file(s) I will have a look.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: Jim Aksel on
In addition to the comments of my peers, please check these items as well --

Unconstrained Start Dates. Trevor said to make sure each task has at least
one FS predecessor and successor. In addition, make sure each subproject mpp
file has two milestones: "Subproject Start" and "Subproject Finish." Using
Trevor's advice, every task in the file must be traced to both of these
milestones along a path.

Calendars: There are really multiple calendars involved, one for each
subproject and one for the master. This can create problems, especially if
the subprojects have different start dates (Project/Project Information...).
Try to use the same calendar if possible.

Since your subprojects have different start dates, then consider using the
date constraint "Start No Earlier Than" on the "Subproject Start" milestones.

Remember, you are not going to get a real "total program critical path"
until there are links between the subproject files.

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com

From: KTA on
Hi,

Thanks for your time and valuable advices.

As i explained I am using Master Project with the same identical calendar
that is being used by individual inserted projects. My Program Structure is
like;

MASTER PROGRAM

PROJECT A
Phase 1
T1
T2 (FS Dependency)
T3 (FS Dependency)
Phase 2
T4
T5 (FS Dependency)
Phase 3
T6
T7 (FS Dependency)
PROJECT B
Phase 1
T1
T2 (FS Dependency)
T3 (FS Dependency)
Phase 2
T4
T5 (FS Dependency)
Phase 3
T6
T7 (FS Dependency)

PROJECT C
Phase 1
T1
T2 (FS Dependency)
T3 (FS Dependency)
Phase 2
T4
T5 (FS Dependency)
Phase 3
T6
T7 (FS Dependency)

1. All tasks are linked within their respect Phases and our not linked to
any task in the next phase because all of the phases have different start
dates and there are no logical sequencing.

2. There are some tasks which are linked as an external predcessors i.e. T2
in Project A is linked with T4 in Project B.

So my questions are;

1. How should i link the tasks outside the phases to get a proper critical
path.

2. Should i constraint the task with Start No Earlier Than with a specific
date but there are no logical relationship of one phase ending and the other
phase starting.

Your responses will be highly appreciated.