From: RB on

I have heard that in the XP Classic file sharing scenario, creating the same
account and pswd on both computers is just a convenience to keep from
having to type the pswd in the request window. That there does not have to
be matching accounts/pswds on the machines.
But as soon as I deleted the matching user account (of nodeB) off of nodeA,
I was unable to then access nodeA ( or even get pswd request box ) when
accessing from nodeB ? (no other changes were made, this was immediate)

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam>

| I have heard that in the XP Classic file sharing scenario, creating the same
| account and pswd on both computers is just a convenience to keep from
| having to type the pswd in the request window. That there does not have to
| be matching accounts/pswds on the machines.
| But as soon as I deleted the matching user account (of nodeB) off of nodeA,
| I was unable to then access nodeA ( or even get pswd request box ) when
| accessing from nodeB ? (no other changes were made, this was immediate)

Unlike a being a member of a Domain which uses SIDs, a workgroup uses Name and Password in
a P2P situation.

--
Dave

From: RB on

> Unlike a being a member of a Domain which uses SIDs, a workgroup
> uses Name and Password in a P2P situation.

Thanks!
Ahh ok so it has to do with the fact that I'm using a peer to peer
workgroup and not a server, not much docs on this though.
I have been able to come up with a way to make it work like I want though.
I create an acct on the network nodeB with a matching name (as nodeA) but
different pswd. The matching name gets XP to let me have access but since
the pswd is different it pops up a pswd box (instead of just letting me in, which
to me isn't much more secure than SimpleFileSharing as far as the Lan goes).
Then after done accessing the Lan, to disconnect the access again I then log
off and then log back on.