From: Edgard Kniriem on
Hello
Inside my windows file there is a "276fb1b5bc69c970b5db8126f22e2a41" and
inside it there are many 1025, 1026,1028, 1039, etc, etc.
My I delete them all?

From: Jose on
On Mar 20, 4:14 pm, "Edgard Kniriem" <knir...(a)superig.com.br> wrote:
> Hello
> Inside my windows file there is a "276fb1b5bc69c970b5db8126f22e2a41" and
> inside it there are many 1025, 1026,1028, 1039, etc, etc.
> My I delete them all?

When some programs (including Windows programs) installs things, it
may create a temporary folder consisting of
20-30 random letters and numbers in the root drive of the volume with
the most free space. This explains why
sometimes the folders are on your C drive or on some other drive -
which one has the most free space?

For example you may see a folder similar to or called:

D:\9470bb12e8a4f3447657236478e41c5

There may be other folders and files under that main temporary
folder.

These should normally be removed when the installation is complete,
but sometimes they are not. They are harmless
but annoying. You may think something is wrong when there is not or
be afraid the files are really needed. To
avoid confusion you can delete the temporary folders.

If your installation failed or the installation does not delete the
randomly named folder when it completes
running the installation again will make another randomly named
folder.

You may be able to identify the installation (for curiosity) by
looking at some of the folder contents and decide
if that installation was okay, just delete the files/folders. If the
installation did not work properly for some
reason, running the installation again will just create a new randomly
named temporary folder so the old temporary
folder is really of no use.

Sometimes the folders are stubborn to delete. Even if you are an
Administrator on the system you may get a
"sharing violation", "access denied", "being used" or similar type
message when trying to remove the temporary
folders. Installations sometimes use different permissions than a
regular user with Administrator group might
have.

There are many methods to try to remove the folders and some involve
third party programs to install or changing
certain Windows settings that may compromise your system security if
you don't change them back when you are done.

Booting your system in Safe Mode (pressing the F8 key repeatedly right
before XP tries to load) is a good method
to try and remove the folders since it doesn't involve making any
changes to your system configuration or
downloading any third party programs.

If Safe Mode does not work you can change the security of the folder
to give your user Full Control over the folder
by browsing to it in Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View and
in the Advanced settings window, uncheck (at
the bottom) Use simple file sharing (recommended), and click OK. This
turns off the recommended simple file sharing
on your computer so you will want to turn it back on when you are
done.

Right click the stubborn folder, Properties and click the now visible
Security tab. Select your user name and
check the box to allow Full Control, click OK to apply the changes.

Now try to delete the folder.

It is a good idea to go back into Explorer and turn back on (Enable)
Simple file sharing (recommended) when you
have finished.

If none of the above work, try a popular third party tool called
Unlocker.

Unlocker can be download from here:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Unlocker can be uninstalled when you are finished using it.

Reboot when you are finished to be sure the annoying folders are
really gone.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Edgard Kniriem wrote:
> Inside my windows file there is a
> "276fb1b5bc69c970b5db8126f22e2a41" and inside it there are many
> 1025, 1026,1028, 1039, etc, etc. My I delete them all?

Where is "inside [your] windows file"?

C:\Windows\ directory/folder you mean?
C:\ directory/folder you mean?

In any case (no matter your answer) - why is it you feel the need to erase
this directory?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Edgard Kniriem on
Thank You Jose

In fact there are 2 of them, not very large anyone - 11 MB one an 64 Mb the
other.
"Access denied" to see what are inside 1025, and so on.
I always try to let the Windows folder as lean as I can, if you know what I
mean. I?M afraid of what could happen if I delete them. Just this.
Edgard

From: Edgard Kniriem on
Thank You Shenan
C:\Windows\276fb1b5bc69c970b5db8126f22e2a41
As I answered Jose I always try to let the Windows folder as lean as I can,
if you know what I mean. I think my SO always will function well if a keep
it clean.

In fact there are 2 folders (11 and 64 MB). I'm afraid of what could happen
if I delete them. Just this.

Edgard