From: Roger R on
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
Restore it fails and I don't know why.

In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the
machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation.

When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a
valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the
system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be
restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made. No reason
is given. The system then operates as normal.

Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some of
the necessary data. Some selectable options are:
Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
Files.

Please advise.

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
it could be a anti virus
program that is preventing
changes to the system.

however, one wonders
what other problems you
are experiencing that you
find a need to restore your
pc back to a functional time.

but something to keep in
mind is that if you are
experiencing the affects
of malware,

then the malware may have
been saved in the restore
point(s),

thus you may be inadvertently
reinstalling malware when you
execute a restore point.

in any case, you might try
executing a restore point
via safe mode.
--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: Peter Foldes on
Norton installed by any chance ???

--
Peter

From: SC Tom on

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid(a)clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned
> the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its
> operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a
> valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date
> the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot
> be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made. No
> reason
> is given. The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some
> of
> the necessary data. Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's what
you need to do to run it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

--
SC Tom

From: Roger R on

"Peter Foldes" <okf22(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Norton installed by any chance ???

No.

Roger R