From: Jose on
On Mar 20, 1:16 pm, "Roger R" <decoder.inva...(a)clara.invalid.co.uk>
wrote:
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>
> In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the
> machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation.
>
> When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore
> point date in bold.   Selecting one of these, the dialogue  box reports a
> valid system check point for that day.   Proceeding with a selected date the
> system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be
> restored to the selected date and that no changes have been made.  No reason
> is given.  The system then operates as normal.
>
> Can it be that my operation of the application CCleaner is clearing some of
> the necessary data.   Some selectable options are:
> Memory Dumps, Windows Log Files, DNS Cache, User Assist History, IIS Log
> Files.
>
> Please advise.

If Symantec/Norton are installed, there can be an issue which was
hinted at by Peter and db, but there are no ideas to go along with the
hint. This will generate needless additional message cycles before
you get to a solution.

What if you do have Norton - what does it mean and what do you do?
What if you don't?

If you have Norton installed, here is what Symantec recommends since
they are well enough aware of it to write a whole page about it:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfdocs/2005113009323013

If Norton is not your problem, even Microsoft hints to attempt SR in
Safe Mode if the restoration is incomplete - as SC Tom indicates.
That may be quicker than trying to figure out what the problem really
is and fixing it.

Since SR is a popular target for malware and you may have some
condition that you think warrants a System Restore in the first place
instead of fixing the problem, you should run some reputable scanning
programs:

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Failing those possibilities, exactly what are you seeing for messages
indicating it did not work and why do you think it is necessary (after
the scans above).
From: Roger R on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
> As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
> firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
> well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's
> what you need to do to run it:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

As you say, my anti virus program is the likely cause of the problem, but as
I won't be ditching it, your suggestion to run system restore from the
command prompt, together with the link to instructions, is most helpful.

Thanks.

Roger R

From: Roger R on
> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System
> Restore it fails and I don't know why.

Thanks to all who replied.

The view here is that an anti virus programe is the most likely cause of the
problem.

I don't have Norton, but do have AVG Free v9.

I checked out the AVG user forum where others have the same issue.

A forum contributor is unable to complete a System Restore with AVG
installed.
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=69653

The official response in the thread from AVG:
"There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AVG is
installed.
08-03-10
jirka82
Manager at AVG"

So who is right ?

And just to repeat, there are no problems with my Win XP pro Sp3, but System
Restore is something I want to be able to use when needed, as it surely will
be one day.

Roger R

From: Daave on
Roger R wrote:
>> My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a
>> System Restore it fails and I don't know why.
>>

> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> The view here is that an anti virus programe is the most likely cause
> of the problem.
>
> I don't have Norton, but do have AVG Free v9.
>
> I checked out the AVG user forum where others have the same issue.
>
> A forum contributor is unable to complete a System Restore with AVG
> installed.
> http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=69653
>
> The official response in the thread from AVG:
> "There is no known issue with the System Restore function when AVG
> is installed.
> 08-03-10
> jirka82
> Manager at AVG"
>
> So who is right ?

Stated another way:

Is this causation or coincidence?

As I understand it, there is yet any evidence to indicate causation.
There is probably another reason. (I did say "probably." Sure, we might
eventually learn that the latest version of AVG or a specific update is
problematic.) Perhaps your system once had Norton (or McAfee), which was
never *completely* removed. Or maybe ZoneAlarm is installed. For further
information, see this page:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

> And just to repeat, there are no problems with my Win XP pro Sp3, but
> System Restore is something I want to be able to use when needed, as
> it surely will be one day.

The good news is that you now know how to run it in Safe Mode. :-)

System Restore can be useful, but there may come a time when it will be
totally useless (because of malware run amok). In that kind of
situation, restoring an image (from a pre-malware point in time!) of
your hard drive (created by a program like Acronis True Image or
DriveImageXML) is the preferred -- and perhaps only -- solution.

From: SC Tom on

"Roger R" <decoder.invalid(a)clara.invalid.co.uk> wrote in message

> "SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message
>> As others have stated, it may be the result of a virus or a 3rd-party
>> firewall/antivirus program that's running. One way I've found that works
>> well is to run system restore in safe mode with command prompt. Here's
>> what you need to do to run it:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>>

> As you say, my anti virus program is the likely cause of the problem, but
> as I won't be ditching it, your suggestion to run system restore from the
> command prompt, together with the link to instructions, is most helpful.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roger R

You're welcome.
No, I wouldn't ditch your AV program either, but restoring by this method
bypasses it during the restore and doesn't connect to the internet or a
local network. Then, upon reboot, the AV program starts again as normal.
--
SC Tom