From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

Thomas, this is pretty silly. We have the following
constraints:

1. forall x, forall t, x'(x,t) = A x + Bc t
2. forall x, forall t, ct'(x,t) = D x + Ec t
3. forall x, forall t, if x=ct, then x'(x,t) = c t'(x,t)
4. forall x, forall t, if x=-ct, then x'(x,t) = -c t'(x,t)

Obviously, these constraints are not inconsistent, since
they have at least one solution,

A = 5/3,
B = -4/3
D = -4/3
E = 5/3

If the equations are inconsistent, then there is no solution.
Also, you claim that B=0. That is obviously *not* implied by
equations 1-4, since we have a solution with B nonzero. So
there is something wrong with your reasoning.

If we have a solution with B nonzero, and you prove that
the only solution is B=0, then obviously you made a mistake.
B=0 is *not* the only solution.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Thomas Smid says...
>
> Thomas, this is pretty silly. We have the following
> constraints:
>
> 1. forall x, forall t, x'(x,t) = A x + Bc t
> 2. forall x, forall t, ct'(x,t) = D x + Ec t
> 3. forall x, forall t, if x=ct, then x'(x,t) = c t'(x,t)
> 4. forall x, forall t, if x=-ct, then x'(x,t) = -c t'(x,t)
>
> Obviously, these constraints are not inconsistent, since
> they have at least one solution,
>
> A = 5/3,
> B = -4/3
> D = -4/3
> E = 5/3
>
> If the equations are inconsistent, then there is no solution.
> Also, you claim that B=0. That is obviously *not* implied by
> equations 1-4, since we have a solution with B nonzero. So
> there is something wrong with your reasoning.
>
> If we have a solution with B nonzero, and you prove that
> the only solution is B=0, then obviously you made a mistake.
> B=0 is *not* the only solution.

Then insert A=5/3 and B=-4/3 into

x1'=Ax1+Bct
x2'=Ax2+Bct=-Ax1+Bct

which gives

x1'=5/3*x1-4/3*ct
x2'=-5/3*x1-4/3*ct

and thus

x1'+x2'=-8/3*ct

whereas it should be zero.

Other combinations of the transformation equations may be consistent,
but if a certain subset of them is not consistent, the whole set is
obviously not consistent either.

Thomas

From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

>Daryl McCullough wrote:

>> 1. forall x, forall t, x'(x,t) = A x + Bc t
>> 2. forall x, forall t, ct'(x,t) = D x + Ec t
>> 3. forall x, forall t, if x=ct, then x'(x,t) = c t'(x,t)
>> 4. forall x, forall t, if x=-ct, then x'(x,t) = -c t'(x,t)
>>
>> Obviously, these constraints are not inconsistent, since
>> they have at least one solution,
>>
>> A = 5/3,
>> B = -4/3
>> D = -4/3
>> E = 5/3

Can you please acknowledge that you understand
that equations 1-4 have the solution A=E=5/3, B=D=-4/3?

Plug it in. Check your work.

Okay, now if you agree that B=-4/3 is a correct solution,
then it follows that your proof that B=0 is an *incorrect*
proof. B is *not* necessarily 0.

>Then insert A=5/3 and B=-4/3 into
>
>x1'=Ax1+Bct
>x2'=Ax2+Bct=-Ax1+Bct
>
>which gives
>x1'=5/3*x1-4/3*ct
>x2'=-5/3*x1-4/3*ct
>
>and thus
>
>x1'+x2'=-8/3*ct
>
>whereas it should be zero.

No, it shouldn't be zero. Show how x1' + x2' = 0 follows
from equations 1-4 above. It doesn't.

You are making the same mistakes over and over and over.
Look, we are considering two functions x'(x,t) and t'(x,t).
You keep introducing new functions and then forgetting that
they are functions. You want to introduce a new function
x1(t) = ct. Fine. You want to introduce a new
function x2(t) = -ct. Fine. Then you can define functions
x2'(t) = x'(x1(t),t) = x'(ct,t) and
x1'(t) = x'(x2(t),t) = x'(-ct,t). Why in the
world do you think you are justified in saying

x2'(t) = - x1'(t)?

Show me which of my equations 1-4 imply that.

Where you are getting confused is this: If e1 and e2 are
two events such that

x(e1) = ct(e1)
x(e2) = -ct(e2)
t'(e1) = t'(e2)

then in that circumstance

x'(e1) = -x'(e2)

What this implies for our functions x2' and x1' is the following:

x2'(t(e1)) = -x1'(t(e2))

But t(e1) is not equal to t(e2).

You are getting confused because you are failing to keep track
of the functional dependencies.

You keep thinking that if

t(e1) = t(e2)

then

t'(e1) = t'(e2)

and vice-versa. That's not true.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Daryl McCullough" <stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dg72lc0tca(a)drn.newsguy.com...
> Thomas Smid says...
> >
> >Daryl McCullough wrote:
>
> >> 1. forall x, forall t, x'(x,t) = A x + Bc t
> >> 2. forall x, forall t, ct'(x,t) = D x + Ec t
> >> 3. forall x, forall t, if x=ct, then x'(x,t) = c t'(x,t)
> >> 4. forall x, forall t, if x=-ct, then x'(x,t) = -c t'(x,t)
> >>
> >> Obviously, these constraints are not inconsistent, since
> >> they have at least one solution,
> >>
> >> A = 5/3,
> >> B = -4/3
> >> D = -4/3
> >> E = 5/3
>
> Can you please acknowledge that you understand
> that equations 1-4 have the solution A=E=5/3, B=D=-4/3?
>
> Plug it in. Check your work.
>
> Okay, now if you agree that B=-4/3 is a correct solution,
> then it follows that your proof that B=0 is an *incorrect*
> proof. B is *not* necessarily 0.
>
> >Then insert A=5/3 and B=-4/3 into
> >
> >x1'=Ax1+Bct
> >x2'=Ax2+Bct=-Ax1+Bct
> >
> >which gives
> >x1'=5/3*x1-4/3*ct
> >x2'=-5/3*x1-4/3*ct
> >
> >and thus
> >
> >x1'+x2'=-8/3*ct
> >
> >whereas it should be zero.
>
> No, it shouldn't be zero. Show how x1' + x2' = 0 follows
> from equations 1-4 above. It doesn't.
>
> You are making the same mistakes over and over and over.

Deliberately.
Until *you* give it up. Bet?

Remember that I won this kind of bet *many* times before ;-)

Dirk Vdm

From: Daryl McCullough on
Dirk Van de moortel says...

>> You are making the same mistakes over and over and over.
>
>Deliberately.
>Until *you* give it up. Bet?
>
>Remember that I won this kind of bet *many* times before ;-)

No, you haven't. Androcles gave up first. He plonked *me*. So
I win.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY