From: Mike on

Bilge wrote:
> Mike:
> >If you were just a bit more careful reading my post, I do not claim any
> >of this stuff. Dr. ALL did claim it.
>
> What you did was try to set up a strawman.

I would have done that if I assumed: Bilge <---> Strawman

But since I did not, you claiming I tried to set up a strawman is a
strawman.

Are you an idiot by the way?

Mike

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Thomas Smid says...
>
> >I am sorry, but you still misinterprete the variables as specific
> >coordinates. x1 and x2 are *not* coordinates but scalar variables for
> >the two directions representing the vector variable x. Fully written it
> >would be x1(t)=ct, x2(t)=-ct etc. I merely left out the argument (t) in
> >my equations.
>
> That doesn't change my objections to your derivation. You wrote
>
> (3c) x1'+c t' = (A+B)(x1+ct)
> (4b) x2'-c t' = (A-B)(x2-ct)
>
> The point is that x' and t' are *functions* of x and t.
>
> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
> transformation equations are these
>
> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)

You *assumed* they are functions of x and t when writing down your
transformation

x'=Ax+Bct
ct'=Bx+Act

but this actually contradicts the use of t and t' as independent
variables in x(t)=ct and x'(t')=ct'. As 'independent' means just this,
you are actually not entitled to use t or t' with an argument like
t'(x,t) (after all, you need some independent variables in any physical
theory as a basis to work on, and it would be unphysical to assume that
clocks are affected by the location of a light signal or by other
clocks).
But OK, let's just for the time being hypothetically assume that t' is
not an independent variable.

>Since x2(t)
> is unequal to x1(t), the corresponding value of t' in (4b)
> is *not* equal to the corresponding value of t' in (3c).
>
> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
> transformation equations are these
>
> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)
>
> Now, you want to specialize to the case x1(t) = ct in
> the first equation, and specialize to the case x2(t) = -ct
> in the second equation. Fine. That gives us:
>
> x'(ct,t) + c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
> x'(-ct,t) - c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
>
> Now, we use the fact that x' = ct' in the top
> equation, and x' = -ct' in the bottome equation to get:
>

> 2 c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
> -2 c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
>
> Your mistake was assuming that t'(ct,t) = t'(-ct,t).

Why should it be a mistake? There is nothing in our previous equations
that would have prevented me from making this assumption, which, as
mentioned above merely implies that t and t' are independent variables.
But OK let's again consider the problem formally on the basis of the
suggested transformation equations.
For this, I use x1 and x2 again in order to avoid the x'=ct', x'=-ct'
inconsistency. So the relevant equations are then (the time dependences
x1(t), x2(t) and x1'(t'), x2'(t') are not explicity written)

(1) x1'(x1,t) + c t'(x1,t) = (A+B) (x1 + ct)
(2) x2'(x2,t) - c t'(x2,t) = (A-B) (x2 - ct)

and additionally we have

(3) x1'(x1,t) - c t'(x1,t) = 0
(4) x2'(x2,t) + c t'(x2,t) = 0
(5) x1=ct
(6) x2=-ct

Now by virtue of (3)-(6), (1) and (2) become

(7) 2ct'(x1,t)=(A+B)2x1
(8) 2ct'(-x1,t)=(A-B)2x1

The question is how ct'(-x1,t) relates to ct'(x1,t) . For this we
consider the original transformation for ct'

(9) ct'(x1,t) = Bx1+Act

which by virtue of Eq.(5) becomes

(10) ct'(x1,t) = (B+A)x1

which obviously means that

(11) ct'(-x1,t) = -(B+A)x1 =-ct'(x1,t)

or in other words (from Eqs.(3) and (4))

(12) x2'(x2,t)=-x1'(x1,t).

Now with (11), Eqs.(7) and (8) become

(13) 2ct'(x1,t)=(A+B)2x1
(14) 2ct'(x1,t)=-(A-B)2x1 =(B-A)2x1

and thus

(15) A=0.

I have suggested B=0 before rather than A=0, but it does not make any
difference at all for the transformation as

x'=Ax+Bct
ct'=Bx +Act

yields either x'=x; ct'=ct or x'=ct; ct'=x (provided the remaining
constant is set to 1) which is exactly identical because of the
condition x=ct).

Thomas

From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

>Daryl McCullough wrote:

>> The point is that x' and t' are *functions* of x and t.
>>
>> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
>> transformation equations are these
>>
>> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
>> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)
>
>You *assumed* they are functions of x and t when writing down your
>transformation
>
>x'=Ax+Bct
>ct'=Bx+Act
>
>but this actually contradicts the use of t and t' as independent
>variables in x(t)=ct and x'(t')=ct'.

t' is not independent of x. t' is a *function* of x and t. You
cannot choose x, t, x' and t' independently. You can choose *two*
independently, but then the other two are determined.

>As 'independent' means just this,

t' is not independent of x and t.

>you are actually not entitled to use t or t' with an argument like
>t'(x,t)

Yes, you certainly are.

>But OK, let's just for the time being hypothetically assume that t' is
>not an independent variable.
>
>>Since x2(t)
>> is unequal to x1(t), the corresponding value of t' in (4b)
>> is *not* equal to the corresponding value of t' in (3c).
>>
>> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
>> transformation equations are these
>>
>> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
>> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)
>>
>> Now, you want to specialize to the case x1(t) = ct in
>> the first equation, and specialize to the case x2(t) = -ct
>> in the second equation. Fine. That gives us:
>>
>> x'(ct,t) + c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
>> x'(-ct,t) - c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
>>
>> Now, we use the fact that x' = ct' in the top
>> equation, and x' = -ct' in the bottome equation to get:
>>

>> 2 c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
>> -2 c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
>>
>> Your mistake was assuming that t'(ct,t) = t'(-ct,t).
>
>Why should it be a mistake?

You are trying to show that Einstein's derivation led
to an inconsistency. If you make an additional assumption
that Einstein *didn't* make, then any inconsistency you
derive is an inconsistency in the combination of *your*
assumptions and *Einstein's* assumptions. It doesn't
prove anything about Einstein's derivation.

>There is nothing in our previous equations
>that would have prevented me from making this assumption

On the contrary, it leads to a contradiction.

>which, as mentioned above merely implies that t and t'
>are independent variables.

They aren't independent variables. Given x and t, t' is
determined.

> (1) x1'(x1,t) + c t'(x1,t) = (A+B) (x1 + ct)
> (2) x2'(x2,t) - c t'(x2,t) = (A-B) (x2 - ct)
>
>and additionally we have
>
>(3) x1'(x1,t) - c t'(x1,t) = 0
>(4) x2'(x2,t) + c t'(x2,t) = 0
>(5) x1=ct
>(6) x2=-ct
>
>Now by virtue of (3)-(6), (1) and (2) become
>
>(7) 2ct'(x1,t)=(A+B)2x1
>(8) 2ct'(-x1,t)=(A-B)2x1
>
>The question is how ct'(-x1,t) relates to ct'(x1,t). For this we
>consider the original transformation for ct'
>
>(9) ct'(x1,t) = Bx1+Act
>
>which by virtue of Eq.(5) becomes
>
>(10) ct'(x1,t) = (B+A)x1
>
>which obviously means that
>
>(11) ct'(-x1,t) = -(B+A)x1 =-ct'(x1,t)

Thomas, you forget that x1 in equation 10 is *not*
an independent variable, it is a *function* of t.
In particular, x1 = ct, so (10) should be written
as follows:

(10) ct'(ct,t) = (B+A)ct

Now, if you replace t by -t, you get the correct
version of (11)

(11) ct'(-ct,-t) = -(B+A)ct = -ct'(ct,t)

[Rest deleted, since it relies on a false step]

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

[deleted]

I just want to point out that, in spite of the title of this thread,
you haven't actually discovered any mathematical inconsistencies in
Einstein's derivation of the Lorentz Transformations.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Thomas Smid says...
>
> >Daryl McCullough wrote:
>
> >> The point is that x' and t' are *functions* of x and t.
> >>
> >> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
> >> transformation equations are these
> >>
> >> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
> >> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)
> >
> >You *assumed* they are functions of x and t when writing down your
> >transformation
> >
> >x'=Ax+Bct
> >ct'=Bx+Act
> >
> >but this actually contradicts the use of t and t' as independent
> >variables in x(t)=ct and x'(t')=ct'.
>
> t' is not independent of x. t' is a *function* of x and t. You
> cannot choose x, t, x' and t' independently. You can choose *two*
> independently, but then the other two are determined.
>
> >As 'independent' means just this,
>
> t' is not independent of x and t.
>
> >you are actually not entitled to use t or t' with an argument like
> >t'(x,t)
>
> Yes, you certainly are.
>
> >But OK, let's just for the time being hypothetically assume that t' is
> >not an independent variable.
> >
> >>Since x2(t)
> >> is unequal to x1(t), the corresponding value of t' in (4b)
> >> is *not* equal to the corresponding value of t' in (3c).
> >>
> >> Let's put in all the functional dependence explicitly. The
> >> transformation equations are these
> >>
> >> x'(x,t) + c t'(x,t) = (A+B) (x + ct)
> >> x'(x,t) - c t'(x,t) = (A-B) (x - ct)
> >>
> >> Now, you want to specialize to the case x1(t) = ct in
> >> the first equation, and specialize to the case x2(t) = -ct
> >> in the second equation. Fine. That gives us:
> >>
> >> x'(ct,t) + c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
> >> x'(-ct,t) - c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
> >>
> >> Now, we use the fact that x' = ct' in the top
> >> equation, and x' = -ct' in the bottome equation to get:
> >>

> >> 2 c t'(ct,t) = (A+B) (2ct)
> >> -2 c t'(-ct,t) = (A-B) (-2ct)
> >>
> >> Your mistake was assuming that t'(ct,t) = t'(-ct,t).
> >
> >Why should it be a mistake?
>
> You are trying to show that Einstein's derivation led
> to an inconsistency. If you make an additional assumption
> that Einstein *didn't* make, then any inconsistency you
> derive is an inconsistency in the combination of *your*
> assumptions and *Einstein's* assumptions. It doesn't
> prove anything about Einstein's derivation.
>
> >There is nothing in our previous equations
> >that would have prevented me from making this assumption
>
> On the contrary, it leads to a contradiction.

Which would be what? Setting B=0 and A=1 (or vice versa) is fully
consistent with the assumptions x=ct and x'=ct' (which are the only
relevant equations regarding the propagation of light).

> >which, as mentioned above merely implies that t and t'
> >are independent variables.
>
> They aren't independent variables. Given x and t, t' is
> determined.
>
> > (1) x1'(x1,t) + c t'(x1,t) = (A+B) (x1 + ct)
> > (2) x2'(x2,t) - c t'(x2,t) = (A-B) (x2 - ct)
> >
> >and additionally we have
> >
> >(3) x1'(x1,t) - c t'(x1,t) = 0
> >(4) x2'(x2,t) + c t'(x2,t) = 0
> >(5) x1=ct
> >(6) x2=-ct
> >
> >Now by virtue of (3)-(6), (1) and (2) become
> >
> >(7) 2ct'(x1,t)=(A+B)2x1
> >(8) 2ct'(-x1,t)=(A-B)2x1
> >
> >The question is how ct'(-x1,t) relates to ct'(x1,t). For this we
> >consider the original transformation for ct'
> >
> >(9) ct'(x1,t) = Bx1+Act
> >
> >which by virtue of Eq.(5) becomes
> >
> >(10) ct'(x1,t) = (B+A)x1
> >
> >which obviously means that
> >
> >(11) ct'(-x1,t) = -(B+A)x1 =-ct'(x1,t)
>
> Thomas, you forget that x1 in equation 10 is *not*
> an independent variable, it is a *function* of t.
> In particular, x1 = ct, so (10) should be written
> as follows:
>
> (10) ct'(ct,t) = (B+A)ct
>
> Now, if you replace t by -t, you get the correct
> version of (11)
>
> (11) ct'(-ct,-t) = -(B+A)ct = -ct'(ct,t)
>
> [Rest deleted, since it relies on a false step]

I am sorry, but I don't think you are right . We can't change the sign
of the explicit t-dependence here (after all negative times are not
defined). The only change of sign comes when we switch from x2 to x1
when formulating equation (8) i.e. ct'(x2,t)=ct'(-x1,t) (according to
(5) and (6), which fully written imply x2(t)=-x1(t) but not
x2(t)=-x1(-t)).

Thomas