From: Thomas Smid on
Bilge wrote:
> Thomas Smid:
> >Many people maintain that the Lorentz transformation is derived
> >mathematically consistently and that there is therefore no way to
> >challenge SR on internal consistency issues. Is this really so?
>
> Yes. It's really so. Lorentz boosts and spatial rotations
> are obtained in the same derivation. If the lorentz transforms
> are mathematically inconsistent, then so is euclidean geometry.
> I trust you haven't disproved the pythagorean theorem, since
> disproving the pythagoren theorem would be big news

As far as I am aware the invariance of c was big news at the time, and
it excatly amounts to the fact that the speed of light can not be
represented vectorially in the usual sense. It is a scalar that has a
fixed value in all reference frames. Everything else is just a futile
attempt to apply usual geometrical principles where they can not be
applied.

Thomas

From: Thomas Smid on
Bilge wrote:
> Thomas Smid:
> >Many people maintain that the Lorentz transformation is derived
> >mathematically consistently and that there is therefore no way to
> >challenge SR on internal consistency issues. Is this really so?
>
> Yes. It's really so. Lorentz boosts and spatial rotations
> are obtained in the same derivation. If the lorentz transforms
> are mathematically inconsistent, then so is euclidean geometry.
> I trust you haven't disproved the pythagorean theorem, since
> disproving the pythagoren theorem would be big news and a
> ticket to fame.

As far as I am aware the experimental discovery of the invariance of c
was big news at the time, and it exactly amounts to the fact that the

From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

>As far as I am aware the experimental discovery of the invariance of c
>was big news at the time, and it exactly amounts to the fact that the
>speed of light can not be represented vectorially in the usual sense.
>It is a scalar that has a fixed value in all reference frames.
>Everything else is just a futile attempt to apply usual geometrical
>principles where they can not be applied.

That's right. The geometry of spacetime is Minkowskian, not Euclidean.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Thomas Smid says...
> >
> >Daryl McCullough wrote:
>
> >> Einstein's equations were these
> >>
> >> (3) x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct)
> >> (4) x' + ct' = mu (x+ct)
> >
> >So how did he get then to (4) in your opinion? (Hint: he got to (3)
> >using his equations (1) and (2))
>
> Yes, he used (1) and (2). Here's a more pains-taking explanation:
>
> For any event e, let x(e), t(e) be the location and time of e
> in the first frame, and let x'(e) and t'(e) be the location
> and time as measured in the other frame. We assume that these
> coordinates are linearly related:

What is the justification for such an assumption?

>There is some parameters
> A,B,D,E that are functions of the relative velocity between
> the two frames such that for all events e
>
> x'(e) = A x(e) + B ct(e)
> ct'(e) = D x(e) + E ct(e)
>
> Now, these two equations can be rearranged into the equivalent
> equations (I'm not going to write the dependence on e, to simplify
> the appearance, but actually, x,t,x' and t' all depend on which
> event e you are talking about)
>
> (0.1) x' - c t' = lambda (x - ct) + tau (x + ct)
> (0.2) x' + c t' = mu (x + ct) + sigma (x - ct)
>
> where lambda, tau, mu, and sigma are linear combinations of
> A, B, D, and E:
>
> lambda = 1/2 (A-D+B-E)
> tau = 1/2 (A-D-B+E)
> mu = 1/2 (A+D+B+E)
> sigma = 1/2 (A+D-B-E)
>
> Okay, so what Einstein is arguing by considering light
> signals is that tau = 0 and sigma = 0. Why does that
> follow? Well, consider the following events:
>
> Let e0 be the event with coordinates x(e0) = 0, t(e0) = 0.
> Let a light signal travelling in the +x direction be sent
> from event e0 to some event e1. This event will have
> x(e1) > 0, t(e1) > 0.
>
> Because light travels at speed c, we know, in the first frame:
>
> x(e1) = c * t(e1)
>
> or
>
> (1) x(e1) - c t(e1) = 0
>

> But light *also* travels at speed c in the second frame. So
> we have:
>
> x'(e1) = c * t'(e1)

OK, with x'(e1) = ct'(e1) your original equations
x'(e1) = A x(e1) + B ct(e1)
ct'(e1) = D x(e1) + E ct(e1)
result therefore in
A x(e1) + B ct(e1) = D x(e1) + E ct(e1)
and since this must for all times t
D=A
E=B
which using your definitions above results in
lambda=0
tau=0.

Similarly for the ray travelling in the negative direction i.e.
x'(e2) = -ct'(e2)
we get from your original equations
A x(e2) + B ct(e2) = -D x(e2) - E ct(e2)
and thus
D=-A
E=-B
and hence
mu=0
sigma=0.

So as with Einstein's approach, you again have the inconsistent
equations x'-ct'=0 and x'+ct'=0.

Thomas

From: Todd on

"Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Daryl McCullough wrote:

>>There is some parameters
>> A,B,D,E that are functions of the relative velocity between
>> the two frames such that for all events e
>>
>> x'(e) = A x(e) + B ct(e)
>> ct'(e) = D x(e) + E ct(e)

> OK, with x'(e1) = ct'(e1) your original equations
> x'(e1) = A x(e1) + B ct(e1)
> ct'(e1) = D x(e1) + E ct(e1)
> result therefore in
> A x(e1) + B ct(e1) = D x(e1) + E ct(e1)

Yes, as long as you're considering events where x'(e1) = ct'(e1).

> and since this must for all times t
> D=A
> E=B

No, this is an incorrect conclusion. Think about it and see if you can see
your mistake. Hint: If x'(e1) = ct'(e1), then how must x(e1) and ct(e1) be
related?

Todd