From: Perspicacious on
Igor wrote:
> Congratulations! You've just discovered that the average speed of two
> light rays moving in opposite directions vanishes. What this has to do
> with inconsistencies in the Lorentz transformation, which you didn't
> even get to, I have no idea. My first reaction was that this had to be
> a big joke, since no one could be that stupid. But I could be wrong.

The greatest riddle, with as yet an undiscovered rationale, is why so
many kooks are drawn to special relativity. I believe the answer is
that it special relativity is taught primarily by physicists who
strive for sensationalism and not by mathematicians who prefer
clarity and logical consistency.

http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

From: Perspicacious on
Perspicacious wrote:
> Igor wrote:
> > Congratulations! You've just discovered that the average speed of two
> > light rays moving in opposite directions vanishes. What this has to do
> > with inconsistencies in the Lorentz transformation, which you didn't
> > even get to, I have no idea. My first reaction was that this had to be
> > a big joke, since no one could be that stupid. But I could be wrong.
>
> The greatest riddle, with as yet an undiscovered rationale, is why so
> many kooks are drawn to special relativity. I believe the answer is
> that it special relativity is taught primarily by physicists who
> strive for sensationalism and not by mathematicians who prefer
> clarity and logical consistency.
>
> http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Consider this hypothesis: Physicists strive to teach special relativity
in a way that suggests that modern physics is entirely irrational and
seemingly contradictory. Once that sentiment is widely accepted by the
predominantly unsophisticated mainstream and mathematically ignorant
masses, it's then equally easy for conspiracy theorists to imagine
otherwise and advocate the notion that they alone have common sense
and that physicists and their unthinking followers are obviously
mistaken and extremely deluded.

From: Bilge on
Thomas Smid:
>Bilge wrote:
>> Thomas Smid:
>> >Many people maintain that the Lorentz transformation is derived
>> >mathematically consistently and that there is therefore no way to
>> >challenge SR on internal consistency issues. Is this really so?
>>
>> Yes. It's really so. Lorentz boosts and spatial rotations
>> are obtained in the same derivation. If the lorentz transforms
>> are mathematically inconsistent, then so is euclidean geometry.
>> I trust you haven't disproved the pythagorean theorem, since
>> disproving the pythagoren theorem would be big news
>
>As far as I am aware the invariance of c was big news at the time, and

Who cares? We aren't discussing the sociological effect on the
victorian mindset. This is 2005, not 1905 and the topic is physics,
not sociology.

>it excatly amounts to the fact that the speed of light can not be
>represented vectorially in the usual sense. It is a scalar that has a
>fixed value in all reference frames. Everything else is just a futile
>attempt to apply usual geometrical principles where they can not be
>applied.

You didn't answer my question. In fact, you snipped the question,
so it would appear your entire line of argument has been conceived
to prop up your own preconception of nature. I realize the question
was straight forward and to the point, but I'd just as soon you
not get side tracked. If you have no argument against the consistency
of the coordinate transformations I wrote down, your objections are
now null and void. If you do have a legitimate argument, I suggest
that you skip usenet and concentrate on writing an article for
a mathematics journalm since invalidating mathematics going back
to euclid and pythagoreas will be a lot bigger news than you could
have ever imagined relativity to be.

From: Bilge on
Mike:

>The problem with Al's derivation of LT is that he postulates a linear
>transformation between the space time points in K and K':

So, the same argument can be applied to rotations on a circle,
so let's see how it applies:

Translation:

``The problem with the derivation of spatial is that one postulates
a linear transformation between the points in K and K.'

>"A light-signal, which is proceeding along the positive axis of x, is
>transmitted according to the equation x = ct
>or
>
>x - ct = 0 (1)

This statement is wrong, since all of the points on the x-axis
(or any space axis) have a spacelike separation. The lightray
can't propagate along the x-axis. It propagates along the light
cone which is at 45 degrees to the x-axis in the x-t plane.

Translation:
``A line lying along the x-axis is given by the equation x = by.
or

x - by = 0

Which is obviously silly, although that didn't stop you from saying
the line x = ct is along the x-axis.

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> [...]
> in the first frame, and let x'(e) and t'(e) be the location
> and time as measured in the other frame. We assume that these
> coordinates are linearly related: There is some parameters
> A,B,D,E that are functions of the relative velocity between
> the two frames such that for all events e
>
> x'(e) = A x(e) + B ct(e)
> ct'(e) = D x(e) + E ct(e)
>
> Now, these two equations can be rearranged into the equivalent
> equations (I'm not going to write the dependence on e, to simplify
> the appearance, but actually, x,t,x' and t' all depend on which
> event e you are talking about)
>
> (0.1) x' - c t' = lambda (x - ct) + tau (x + ct)
> (0.2) x' + c t' = mu (x + ct) + sigma (x - ct)
>
> where lambda, tau, mu, and sigma are linear combinations of
> A, B, D, and E:
>
> lambda = 1/2 (A-D+B-E)
> tau = 1/2 (A-D-B+E)
> mu = 1/2 (A+D+B+E)
> sigma = 1/2 (A+D-B-E)
>
> Okay, so what Einstein is arguing by considering light
> signals is that tau = 0 and sigma = 0. Why does that
> follow? Well, consider the following events:
>
> Let e0 be the event with coordinates x(e0) = 0, t(e0) = 0.
> Let a light signal travelling in the +x direction be sent
> from event e0 to some event e1. This event will have
> x(e1) > 0, t(e1) > 0.
>
> Because light travels at speed c, we know, in the first frame:
>
> x(e1) = c * t(e1)
>
> or
>
> (1) x(e1) - c t(e1) = 0
>

> But light *also* travels at speed c in the second frame. So
> we have:
>
> x'(e1) = c * t'(e1)
>
> or
> (2) x'(e1) - c t(e1) = 0
>
> By my equation (0.1) above, we know
>
> x'(e1) - c t'(e1) = lambda (x(e1) - c t(e1))
> + tau (x(e1) + c t(e1))
>
> Using (1) and (2) to simplify this, we get:
>
> 0 = 0 + tau (x(e1) + c t(e1))
>
> Since x(e1) and t(e1) are both positive, it follows that
>
> tau = 0
>
> Putting this together with my equation (0.1) gives
>
> (3) x' - c t' = lambda (x - ct)
>
> Now, we go through the same sort of thing for a light
> signal travelling in the -x direction:
>
> Let a light signal travelling in the -x direction be sent
> from event e0 to some event e2. This event will have
> x(e2) < 0, t(e2) > 0. Since light travels at speed c in
> both frames, we have
>
> (1') x(e2) + ct(e2) = 0
>
> and similarly
>
> (2') x'(e2) + ct'(e2) = 0
>
> My equation 0.2 gives:
>
> x'(e2) + c t'(e2) = mu (x(e2) + ct(e2)) + sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2))
>
> Using (1') and (2') to simplify equation (0.2) gives:
>
> 0 = 0 + sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2))
>
> or
>
> sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2)) = 0
>
> Since x(e2) is negative, and so is -ct(e2), it follows that
> this is only possible if
>
> sigma = 0
>
> Substituting this into my equation 0.2 gives

OK, but you should note that fully written your equations (3) and (4)
read

(1) x'(e1) - c t'(e1) = lambda (x(e1) - ct(e1))
(2) x'(e2) + c t'(e2) = mu (x(e2) + ct(e2))

so you can't use them to determine lambda and mu (and hence the Lorentz
transformation) like Einstein did.
But you can determine them in fact from your original equations

(3) x'(e1) = A x(e1) + B ct(e1)
ct'(e1) = D x(e1) + E ct(e1)

(4) x'(e2) = A x(e2) + B ct(e2)
ct'(e2) = D x(e2) + E ct(e2)

which using your conditions

(5) x(e1)=ct(e1); x'(e1)=ct'(e1)
(6) x(e2)=-ct(e2); x'(e2)=-ct'(e2)

yields

(7) A+B=D+E
(8) A-B=E-D.

If you add and subtract (7) and (8), you get therefore

(9) A=E; B=D.

Now you have found previously that your constants tau and sigma are
zero, so you from your defintions of tau and sigma:

(10) A-D-B+E=0
(11) A+D-B-E=0

from which you get

(12) A-B=D-E
(13) A-B=E-D.

Because the left hand sides of (12) and (13) are identical but the
right hand side merely has the sign inverted, this means that

(14) A=B; D=E.

Now together with (9) you have therefore

(15) A=B=D=E,

which, going back to the definitions of your constants, tells you that
not only tau and sigma but also lambda is zero. The only cnstant left
to determine is mu , but from (2) and (6) we know that

(16) 0=mu*0,

so mu (and hence the numerical value of (15)) is arbitrary, which
makes sense because the original equations (3) and (4) read now

(17) x'(e1) = A x(e1) + A ct(e1)
ct'(e1) = A x(e1) + A ct(e1)

(18) x'(e2) = A x(e2) + A ct(e2)
ct'(e2) = A x(e2) + A ct(e2)

which using (5) and (6) yields

(19) x'(e1)-ct'(e1)=0
(20) x'(e2)+ct'(e2)=0,

which are just your separate equations for the two light signals all
over again.

This shows that a consistent set of equations (like yours) can not
result in the Lorentz transformation.

Thomas