From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Daryl McCullough" <stevendaryl3016(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:df9qvo0fju(a)drn.newsguy.com...
> Thomas Smid says...
> >
> >Daryl McCullough wrote:
> >
> >> You can't subtract (1) from (3), since x in (1) refers
> >> to a *different* event than the x in (3). It's not the
> >> same value of x, and it's not the same value of t.
> >> Think about it in terms of a *car* driving down a
> >> road that runs East-West at 10 meters/second.
> >
> >Don't blame me for it. I am merely reproducing Einstein's
> >derivation at http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html here.
>
> Yes, I blame you for it. Einstein didn't subtract
>
> x = ct
>
> from
>
> x = -ct
>
> To get
>
> 0 = 2ct
>
> You did. If you didn't understand Einstein's derivation,
> you can ask about it, but don't make up your *own* derivation
> and then blame its mistakes on *Einstein*. Either stand up
> for your own derivation (take the blame if it is wrong), or
> else use Einstein's derivation.
>
> Einstein's equations were these
>
> (3) x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct)
> (4) x' + ct' = mu (x+ct)
>
> He assumed that these relationships *always* hold, for *all*
> events, for *all* values of x and t. If it is always the case
> that x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct), and it is always the case that
> x' + ct' = mu (x+ct), then it will always be the case that
>
> x' = 1/2 (lambda + mu) x - 1/2 (lambda - mu) ct
> ct' = 1/2 (lambda + mu) ct - 1/2 (lambda - mu) x
>
> In contrast, the equation
> x = ct
> doesn't always hold. It only holds when x is the location
> of a light signal at time t that happens to be travelling
> in the x direction, and leaves the origin at time t=0.
> The equation
> x = -ct
> only holds when x is the location of a light signal at time
> t that happens to be travelling in the -x direction, and leaves
> the origin at time t=0.

Perhaps he should learn about coordinates of events.
HE didn't want to take the medicine from me. Perhaps
he will take it from you :-)

The problem is that Thomas seems to be highly allergic to
just about everything that could possibly help him understand
that paper. I think he has adopted as his life motto the phrase
"I Cannot And Will Not Understand That Paper"

Enjoy ;-)

Dirk Vdm

From: Harry on

"Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoortel(a)ThankS-NO-SperM.hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:G8_Re.184333$ZE2.10260569(a)phobos.telenet-ops.be...
SNIP

> which shows again, that the moderators have stopped doing
> the job they used to do:
[...]>
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.research/msg/3d6e51f30ecf1d6e
[...].
> Dirk Vdm

Thanks for pointing that one out - I look forward to see rebuttals. Can you
back up your implicit claim that that message is wrong? I doubt that you
were there...

Harald

From: Thomas Smid on
Daryl McCullough wrote:
> Thomas Smid says...
> >
> >Daryl McCullough wrote:
> >
> >> You can't subtract (1) from (3), since x in (1) refers
> >> to a *different* event than the x in (3). It's not the
> >> same value of x, and it's not the same value of t.
> >> Think about it in terms of a *car* driving down a
> >> road that runs East-West at 10 meters/second.
> >
> >Don't blame me for it. I am merely reproducing Einstein's
> >derivation at http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html here.
>
> Yes, I blame you for it. Einstein didn't subtract
>
> x = ct
>
> from
>
> x = -ct
>
> To get
>
> 0 = 2ct
>
> You did. If you didn't understand Einstein's derivation,
> you can ask about it, but don't make up your *own* derivation
> and then blame its mistakes on *Einstein*. Either stand up
> for your own derivation (take the blame if it is wrong), or
> else use Einstein's derivation.
>
> Einstein's equations were these
>
> (3) x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct)
> (4) x' + ct' = mu (x+ct)

So how did he get then to (4) in your opinion? (Hint: he got to (3)
using his equations (1) and (2))

Thomas

From: Daryl McCullough on
Dirk Van de moortel says...

>The problem is that Thomas seems to be highly allergic to
>just about everything that could possibly help him understand
>that paper. I think he has adopted as his life motto the phrase
> "I Cannot And Will Not Understand That Paper"

Which is exactly Androcles' attitude. I'm wondering if they
might be the same person? You're the one with that kind of
psychic power...

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125677986.619007.318390(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Daryl McCullough wrote:
> > Thomas Smid says...

> > >Don't blame me for it. I am merely reproducing Einstein's
> > >derivation at http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html here.
> >
> > Yes, I blame you for it. Einstein didn't subtract
> >
> > x = ct
> >
> > from
> >
> > x = -ct
> >
> > To get
> >
> > 0 = 2ct
> >
> > You did. If you didn't understand Einstein's derivation,
> > you can ask about it, but don't make up your *own* derivation
> > and then blame its mistakes on *Einstein*. Either stand up
> > for your own derivation (take the blame if it is wrong), or
> > else use Einstein's derivation.
> >
> > Einstein's equations were these
> >
> > (3) x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct)
> > (4) x' + ct' = mu (x+ct)
>
> So how did he get then to (4) in your opinion? (Hint: he got to (3)
> using his equations (1) and (2))

He got to
x' - c t' = lambda ( x - c t )
using the assumption that equation
x - c t = 0
linearly transforms to the equation
x' - c t' = 0

He got to
x' + c t' = mu ( x + c t )
using the assumption that equation
x + c t = 0
linearly transforms to the equation
x' + c t' = 0

I already told you, you haven't got a clue about linear
algebra and analytic geometry :-)

Dirk Vdm