From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

>Daryl McCullough wrote:

>> Einstein's equations were these
>>
>> (3) x' - ct' = lambda (x-ct)
>> (4) x' + ct' = mu (x+ct)
>
>So how did he get then to (4) in your opinion? (Hint: he got to (3)
>using his equations (1) and (2))

Yes, he used (1) and (2). Here's a more pains-taking explanation:

For any event e, let x(e), t(e) be the location and time of e
in the first frame, and let x'(e) and t'(e) be the location
and time as measured in the other frame. We assume that these
coordinates are linearly related: There is some parameters
A,B,D,E that are functions of the relative velocity between
the two frames such that for all events e

x'(e) = A x(e) + B ct(e)
ct'(e) = D x(e) + E ct(e)

Now, these two equations can be rearranged into the equivalent
equations (I'm not going to write the dependence on e, to simplify
the appearance, but actually, x,t,x' and t' all depend on which
event e you are talking about)

(0.1) x' - c t' = lambda (x - ct) + tau (x + ct)
(0.2) x' + c t' = mu (x + ct) + sigma (x - ct)

where lambda, tau, mu, and sigma are linear combinations of
A, B, D, and E:

lambda = 1/2 (A-D+B-E)
tau = 1/2 (A-D-B+E)
mu = 1/2 (A+D+B+E)
sigma = 1/2 (A+D-B-E)

Okay, so what Einstein is arguing by considering light
signals is that tau = 0 and sigma = 0. Why does that
follow? Well, consider the following events:

Let e0 be the event with coordinates x(e0) = 0, t(e0) = 0.
Let a light signal travelling in the +x direction be sent
from event e0 to some event e1. This event will have
x(e1) > 0, t(e1) > 0.

Because light travels at speed c, we know, in the first frame:

x(e1) = c * t(e1)

or

(1) x(e1) - c t(e1) = 0

But light *also* travels at speed c in the second frame. So
we have:

x'(e1) = c * t'(e1)

or
(2) x'(e1) - c t(e1) = 0

By my equation (0.1) above, we know

x'(e1) - c t'(e1) = lambda (x(e1) - c t(e1))
+ tau (x(e1) + c t(e1))

Using (1) and (2) to simplify this, we get:

0 = 0 + tau (x(e1) + c t(e1))

Since x(e1) and t(e1) are both positive, it follows that

tau = 0

Putting this together with my equation (0.1) gives

(3) x' - c t' = lambda (x - ct)

Now, we go through the same sort of thing for a light
signal travelling in the -x direction:

Let a light signal travelling in the -x direction be sent
from event e0 to some event e2. This event will have
x(e2) < 0, t(e2) > 0. Since light travels at speed c in
both frames, we have

(1') x(e2) + ct(e2) = 0

and similarly

(2') x'(e2) + ct'(e2) = 0

My equation 0.2 gives:

x'(e2) + c t'(e2) = mu (x(e2) + ct(e2)) + sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2))

Using (1') and (2') to simplify equation (0.2) gives:

0 = 0 + sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2))

or

sigma (x(e2) - ct(e2)) = 0

Since x(e2) is negative, and so is -ct(e2), it follows that
this is only possible if

sigma = 0

Substituting this into my equation 0.2 gives

(4) x' + c t' = mu (x + ct)

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Perspicacious on
Logically speaking, the Lorentz transformation may
be derived with incomprehensible magic far above what
is considered rational by mediocre physicists. See
http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf
for example. Why do you insist that Einstein should have
derived the Lorentz transformation correctly? Physicists
aren't required to derive anything rigorously.

The legitimacy or illegitimacy of Einstein's derivation
has nothing to do with the question of consistency of
special relativity. SR is only an interpretation of the
Lorentz transformation.

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Perspicacious" <iperspicacious(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1125691994.385246.36950(a)g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Logically speaking, the Lorentz transformation may
> be derived with incomprehensible magic far above what
> is considered rational by mediocre physicists. See
> http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

where Eugene Shubert hits the Windshield :-)

> for example. Why do you insist that Einstein should have
> derived the Lorentz transformation correctly? Physicists
> aren't required to derive anything rigorously.
>
> The legitimacy or illegitimacy of Einstein's derivation
> has nothing to do with the question of consistency of
> special relativity. SR is only an interpretation of the
> Lorentz transformation.

Careful with that axe, Eugene.

Dirk Vdm

From: Bill Hobba on

"Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Todd wrote:
>
>> As Bill Hobba says, you must think about what the symbols denote. It
>> might
>> help to write (1) and (3) as
>>
>> (1) x1 - ct = 0
>>
>> (3) x2 + ct = 0
>>
>> where x1 is the position of the light pulse that's traveling in the
>> positive
>> x direction and x2 is the position of the other pulse traveling in the
>> negative x direction. Note that x1 never equals x2 except at time t = 0.
>>
>> When you subtract them you get an equation that may be written as
>>
>> x1 - x2 = 2ct
>>
>> This just says that the distance between the pulses is increasing at the
>> rate of 2c, which makes sense.
>
> Yes, it would make sense if x2=-x1 i.e. 2x1=2ct, but evidently
> Einstein's derivation would then not 'work' anymore as it relies on
> x1=x2=x i.e. 2ct=0.
>
> Thomas

It does not matter how you cut and dice it solving equations simultaneously
gives you what happens when both hold true. For a light ray in the x
direction and one in the opposite direction the only time they both hold
true is at time t = 0 which occurs at the origin. And guess what, when you
solve them simultaneously you get t=0 and hence x = 0. As usual you show an
appalling understanding of basic math - but that is correctable with the
right attitude. You problem is you sucking attitude - or as Dirk says
'Sucking Logic, Sucking Algebra, Sucking Attitude, Sucking Thumbs, the
deadly combination of
IGNORANCE and ARROGANCE, topped with a coulis of SELF-RESPECT as from now
known under the name ARROGNORANCE'. When ending up with contradictory
answers most people examine there premises and sort out what is going on.
Your trouble, and the trouble with a lot of cranks around here, is they
assume they are infallible and something must be wrong with the subject that
they are the only ones smart enough to see. Such an attitude has 'Unskilled
and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence
Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments' written all over it
http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

Bill

From: Jon Bell on
In article <1125652015.288928.309540(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Thomas Smid <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>It is only necessary here to examine the initial equations for this,
>which describe the 'equations of motion of a light signal' in the
>unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.
>
>(1) x-ct=0
>(2) x'-ct'=0
>where c is the speed of light (which obviously has to be a constant >0)
>
>In the same way, the propagation of a signal in the opposite direction
>yields
>(3) x+ct=0
>(4) x'+ct'=0
>(note that these equations are not written explicitly in Einstein's
>derivation).
>
>>From equations (1)-(4), the Lorentz transformation is then derived by
>some algebraic manipulations.
>
>But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
>subtract equation (1) from (3), which yields
>(5) 2ct=0
>which means that for any time t>0
>(6) c=0,
>in contradiction to the requirement that c>0.

Is there any reason why I should not apply your argument to a slightly
different situation, as follows?

It is only necessary here to examine the initial equations for this,
which describe the 'equations of motion of an automobile' in the
unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.

(1) x-vt=0
[snip equation (2) because it's irrelevant to your argument]
where v is the speed of the automobile, which must be >0

In the same way, the propagation of the automobile in the opposite
direction yields
(3) x+vt=0
[snip equation (4) because it's irrelevant to your argument]

But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
subtract equation (1) from (3), which yields
(5) 2vt=0
which means that for any time t>0
(6) v=0,

which means that the automobile must be at rest.

--
Jon Bell <jtbell(a)presby.edu> Presbyterian College