From: Todd on

"Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> for example have a look at Einsteins own derivation (from his book
> 'Relativity: The Special and General Theory') given at
> http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html which seems to be a very elegant
> way of deriving the Lorentz transformation.
>
> It is only necessary here to examine the initial equations for this,
> which describe the 'equations of motion of a light signal' in the
> unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.
>
> (1) x-ct=0
> (2) x'-ct'=0
> where c is the speed of light (which obviously has to be a constant >0)
>
> In the same way, the propagation of a signal in the opposite direction
> yields
> (3) x+ct=0
> (4) x'+ct'=0
> (note that these equations are not written explicitly in Einstein's
> derivation).
> But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
> subtract equation (1) from (3), which yields
> (5) 2ct=0
> which means that for any time t>0
> (6) c=0,
> in contradiction to the requirement that c>0.

As Bill Hobba says, you must think about what the symbols denote. It might
help to write (1) and (3) as

(1) x1 - ct = 0

(3) x2 + ct = 0

where x1 is the position of the light pulse that's traveling in the positive
x direction and x2 is the position of the other pulse traveling in the
negative x direction. Note that x1 never equals x2 except at time t = 0.

When you subtract them you get an equation that may be written as

x1 - x2 = 2ct

This just says that the distance between the pulses is increasing at the
rate of 2c, which makes sense.

Todd

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125652015.288928.309540(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Many people maintain that the Lorentz transformation is derived
> mathematically consistently and that there is therefore no way to
> challenge SR on internal consistency issues. Is this really so? Let's
> for example have a look at Einsteins own derivation (from his book
> 'Relativity: The Special and General Theory') given at
> http://www.bartleby.com/173/a1.html which seems to be a very elegant
> way of deriving the Lorentz transformation.
>
> It is only necessary here to examine the initial equations for this,
> which describe the 'equations of motion of a light signal' in the
> unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.
>
> (1) x-ct=0
> (2) x'-ct'=0
> where c is the speed of light (which obviously has to be a constant >0)
>
> In the same way, the propagation of a signal in the opposite direction
> yields
> (3) x+ct=0
> (4) x'+ct'=0
> (note that these equations are not written explicitly in Einstein's
> derivation).
>
> >From equations (1)-(4), the Lorentz transformation is then derived by
> some algebraic manipulations.
>
> But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
> subtract equation (1) from (3), which yields
> (5) 2ct=0
> which means that for any time t>0
> (6) c=0,
> in contradiction to the requirement that c>0.

Brilliant :-))
Fourth entry already:
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/dirk/Physics/Fumbles/Inconsistent.html

This is an excellent follow-up for:
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/dirk/Physics/Fumbles/Cringe.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/dirk/Physics/Fumbles/NotQuiteWithYou.html
http://users.pandora.be/vdmoortel/dirk/Physics/Fumbles/Wrong.html

Please don't stop amazing us with your profound insights in the
usage of equations. Perhaps you could try to explain how you do
it to Androcles. He is a good pupil and I'm sure that your teaching
skills at least match your listening skills.

Dirk Vdm

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"Curt" <curt2(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:jcVRe.5432$w4.3618(a)newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

> "Thomas Smid" <thomas.smid(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> > which describe the 'equations of motion of a light signal' in the
> > unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.
> >
> > (1) x-ct=0
> > (2) x'-ct'=0
> > where c is the speed of light (which obviously has to be a constant >0)
> >
> > In the same way, the propagation of a signal in the opposite direction
> > yields
> > (3) x+ct=0
> > (4) x'+ct'=0
> >
> > But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
> > subtract equation (1) from (3), which yields
> > (5) 2ct=0
> > which means that for any time t>0
> > (6) c=0,
> > in contradiction to the requirement that c>0.
>

> I am no expert in relativity, but I am aware that x, displacement, is a
> vector.

But that has nothing to do with it.

> In the following argument I take c>0, x>0. If I fire a photon in the

You better talk about a light signal here. Photons behave
rather strange.

> positive x direction, from the origin of my frame of reference, then, after
> t, the photon has travelled x. Thus, x=ct, in accordance with (1).But how
> did you derive (3)?

The equation of the light signal path
x - c t = 0
describes the coordinates of a signal going in the positive x-direction:
at time t the signal is at distance x = c t.

The equation of the light signal path
x + c t = 0
describes the coordinates of a signal going in the negative x-direction:
at time t the signal is at distance x = - c t.

The equations talk about different things.

Combining the equations like he did (algebraicly "solving a system
of two equations with two unknowns") is the analytic geometry
equivalent of finding the interesection between the light paths:
{ x - c t = 0
{ x + c t = 0
==>
{ 2 c t = 0
{ x - c t = 0
==>
{ t = 0
{ x = 0
So the intersection of the signals happens at time t = 0 at
distance x = 0.

One can also do the following:
The equation of the light signal path
xP - c t = 0
describes the coordinates of a signal going in the positive x-direction:
at time t the signal is at distance xP = c t.

The equation of the light signal path
xN + c t = 0
describes the coordinates of a signal going in the negative x-direction:
at time t the signal is at distance xN = - c t.

When you now subtract the equations, you find
xP - xN = 2 c t
which gives you an expression for the distance between
the two signals at time t as seen by the person who uses
these equations to describe the light paths.

I have been trying to explain this to Thomas, but I think he
is allergic to it, because he didn't even allow me to reach
this point :-)

Dirk Vdm

From: Daryl McCullough on
Thomas Smid says...

>It is only necessary here to examine the initial equations for this,
>which describe the 'equations of motion of a light signal' in the
>unprimed and primed reference frames, i.e.
>
>(1) x-ct=0
>(2) x'-ct'=0
>where c is the speed of light (which obviously has to be a constant >0)
>
>In the same way, the propagation of a signal in the opposite direction
>yields
>(3) x+ct=0
>(4) x'+ct'=0
>(note that these equations are not written explicitly in Einstein's
>derivation).
>
>>From equations (1)-(4), the Lorentz transformation is then derived by
>some algebraic manipulations.
>
>But are the above equations mathematically consistent at all? Let's
>subtract equation (1) from (3),

You can't subtract (1) from (3), since x in (1) refers
to a *different* event than the x in (3). It's not the
same value of x, and it's not the same value of t.
Think about it in terms of a *car* driving down a
road that runs East-West at 10 meters/second.

Suppose I have a long road running East-West, and I paint
a "0" on the road at some spot. Then 1 meter farther down
the road to the West, I paint a "1", and then 1 meter
farther I paint a "2", etc. 1 meter East of "0", I paint
"-1", and then another mile East, I paint a "-2", etc.

Next I take a huge number of identical clocks to the
point marked "0", and set them all to the same time.
Then one by one I slowly carry one clock to each mark
on the road and drop it off. So there is a clock at
the "0", a clock at the "1", etc.

For any event taking place on the road, the "x"
for that event is the closest mark. The "t" for
that event is the time on the closest clock.

Now, if I have a car that is going West at 10 meters/second,
starting at mark "0"

When it passes mark "1", the time on the closest clock
will be 0.1 seconds.

When it passes mark "2", the time on the closest clock
will be 0.2 seconds.

etc.

I can summarize the path of the car as follows:

x(car) = 10 * t(car)

At any moment, x(car) is closest mark to the car, and
t(car) is the time showing on the closest clock.

Now, if the car had instead been travelling *East", then
we would have

x(car) = -10 * t(car)

So when the car passes mark "-1", the time on the closest
clock will be 0.1 seconds, and when it passes mark "-2",
the time on the closest clock will be 0.2 seconds, etc.

So the statement "the car travels in either direction
at speed 10 meters/second" translates into two different
equations, depending on whether the car is travelling East
or West:

car travelling West: x = 10*t
car travelling East: x = -10*t

Now, do you really think it makes sense to *subtract* those
two equations, to get the following?

20*t = 0

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Thomas Smid on
Todd wrote:

> As Bill Hobba says, you must think about what the symbols denote. It might
> help to write (1) and (3) as
>
> (1) x1 - ct = 0
>
> (3) x2 + ct = 0
>
> where x1 is the position of the light pulse that's traveling in the positive
> x direction and x2 is the position of the other pulse traveling in the
> negative x direction. Note that x1 never equals x2 except at time t = 0.
>
> When you subtract them you get an equation that may be written as
>
> x1 - x2 = 2ct
>
> This just says that the distance between the pulses is increasing at the
> rate of 2c, which makes sense.

Yes, it would make sense if x2=-x1 i.e. 2x1=2ct, but evidently
Einstein's derivation would then not 'work' anymore as it relies on
x1=x2=x i.e. 2ct=0.

Thomas