From: Chip Eastham on
On Aug 11, 8:59 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Ago, 08:13, David C. Ullrich <ullr...(a)math.okstate.edu> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:19:25 -0700 (PDT), Louis Burnside
>
> > <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Hi Rupert!
>
> > >I really mean compact.
>
> > Fine. If G is compact then G is a maximal compact subgroup of G.
>
> > >I just learned that a compact and totally
> > >disconnected group is also called a profinite group.
> > >So maybe we can somehow build the maximal compact subgroup from the
> > >maximal subgroups of the finite quotients of it.
> > >I don't know...
>
> > >Best,
> > >Louis.
>
> What I really meant is maximal compact proper subgroup of G - sorry.
> Equivalently, maximal closed proper subgroup if G is compact (and
> Hausdorff).
>
> Best,
> Louis.

As you have pointed out (if I understood correctly),
no thing necessarily exists. Consider for example
the unit circle, considered as an abelian group of
rotations. Whatever (topologically) closed proper
subgroup we consider, there's always a bigger one.

On the other hand we can as well cook up an example
where a maximal closed proper subgroup of a compact
topological group does exist, e.g. the direct sum
of the circle S^1 and Z/2Z, in which of course the
circle sits as a subgroup of index 2.

Perhaps you are looking for examples (probably not
the ones I gave, since things are never that simple),
or perhaps you are looking for some conditions that
guarantee (or exclude) the existence of the sought
maximal compact subgroup. I look forward to further
clarification of your aims.

regards, chip
From: Louis Burnside on
On 11 Ago, 10:51, Chip Eastham <hardm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 8:59 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 11 Ago, 08:13, David C. Ullrich <ullr...(a)math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> > > Fine. If G is compact then G is a maximal compact subgroup of G.

> > What I really meant is maximal compact proper subgroup of G - sorry.
> > Equivalently, maximal closed proper subgroup if G is compact (and
> > Hausdorff).
>
> > Best,
> > Louis.
>
> As you have pointed out (if I understood correctly),
> no thing necessarily exists.  Consider for example
> the unit circle, considered as an abelian group of
> rotations. Whatever (topologically) closed proper
> subgroup we consider, there's always a bigger one.
>
> On the other hand we can as well cook up an example
> where a maximal closed proper subgroup of a compact
> topological group does exist, e.g. the direct sum
> of the circle S^1 and Z/2Z, in which of course the
> circle sits as a subgroup of index 2.
>
> Perhaps you are looking for examples (probably not
> the ones I gave, since things are never that simple),
> or perhaps you are looking for some conditions that
> guarantee (or exclude) the existence of the sought
> maximal compact subgroup.  I look forward to further
> clarification of your aims.
>
> regards, chip

Thank you all for replying and for the examples!
Please let me clearly state the question:
"Let G be a compact and totally disconnected group.
How can we prove that G has a maximal compact proper subgroup?"

An example: if Z_p is the additive group of the p-adic integers,
then pZ_p is its maximal compact proper subgroup.

Best,
Louis.
From: Rupert on
On Aug 12, 4:50 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Ago, 10:51, Chip Eastham <hardm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What I really meant is maximal compact proper subgroup of G - sorry.
> > > Equivalently, maximal closed proper subgroup if G is compact (and
> > > Hausdorff).
>
> > > Best,
> > > Louis.
>
> > As you have pointed out (if I understood correctly),
> > no thing necessarily exists.  Consider for example
> > the unit circle, considered as an abelian group of
> > rotations. Whatever (topologically) closed proper
> > subgroup we consider, there's always a bigger one.
>
> > On the other hand we can as well cook up an example
> > where a maximal closed proper subgroup of a compact
> > topological group does exist, e.g. the direct sum
> > of the circle S^1 and Z/2Z, in which of course the
> > circle sits as a subgroup of index 2.
>
> > Perhaps you are looking for examples (probably not
> > the ones I gave, since things are never that simple),
> > or perhaps you are looking for some conditions that
> > guarantee (or exclude) the existence of the sought
> > maximal compact subgroup.  I look forward to further
> > clarification of your aims.
>
> > regards, chip
>
> Thank you all for replying and for the examples!
> Please let me clearly state the question:
> "Let G be a compact and totally disconnected group.
> How can we prove that G has a maximal compact proper subgroup?"
>
> An example: if Z_p is the additive group of the p-adic integers,
> then pZ_p is its maximal compact proper subgroup.
>
> Best,
> Louis.

Let G be a nontrivial profinite group. Let G_0 be a proper closed
subgroup of G and let H be a subgroup of G/G_0 of prime index in G/
G_0. HG_0 is a maximal proper closed subgroup of G, but it is not
necessarily unique.
From: Louis Burnside on
On 11 Ago, 20:53, Rupert <rupertmccal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 4:50 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > As you have pointed out (if I understood correctly),
> > > no thing necessarily exists.  Consider for example
> > > the unit circle, considered as an abelian group of
> > > rotations. Whatever (topologically) closed proper
> > > subgroup we consider, there's always a bigger one.
>
> > > On the other hand we can as well cook up an example
> > > where a maximal closed proper subgroup of a compact
> > > topological group does exist, e.g. the direct sum
> > > of the circle S^1 and Z/2Z, in which of course the
> > > circle sits as a subgroup of index 2.
>
> > > Perhaps you are looking for examples (probably not
> > > the ones I gave, since things are never that simple),
> > > or perhaps you are looking for some conditions that
> > > guarantee (or exclude) the existence of the sought
> > > maximal compact subgroup.  I look forward to further
> > > clarification of your aims.
>
> > > regards, chip
>
> > Thank you all for replying and for the examples!
> > Please let me clearly state the question:
> > "Let G be a compact and totally disconnected group.
> > How can we prove that G has a maximal compact proper subgroup?"
>
> > An example: if Z_p is the additive group of the p-adic integers,
> > then pZ_p is its maximal compact proper subgroup.
>
> > Best,
> > Louis.
>
> Let G be a nontrivial profinite group. Let G_0 be a proper closed
> subgroup of G and let H be a subgroup of G/G_0 of prime index in G/
> G_0. HG_0 is a maximal proper closed subgroup of G, but it is not
> necessarily unique.

Dear Rupert,

Every subgroup of prime index surely is maximal. But I don't
understand why H exists...

I tried a different and very standard approach:
Let G be a non-trivial Hausdorff group.
Let F be the family of all closed proper subgroups. Order F partially
by inclusion. Since {1} belongs to F, F is non-empty.
To apply Zorn's Lemma it is enough show that every chain in F has an
upper bound in F. Let (H_a lpha) be a chain in F.
Let H be the union of all H_alpha, then H is a subgroup (but not
necessary closed).
Let C be the closure of H in G , then C is a closed subgroup of G.
Is C properly contained in G? If so, we are done.

Best,
Louis.
From: Rupert on
On Aug 13, 11:27 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Ago, 20:53, Rupert <rupertmccal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Thank you all for replying and for the examples!
> > > Please let me clearly state the question:
> > > "Let G be a compact and totally disconnected group.
> > > How can we prove that G has a maximal compact proper subgroup?"
>
> > > An example: if Z_p is the additive group of the p-adic integers,
> > > then pZ_p is its maximal compact proper subgroup.
>
> > > Best,
> > > Louis.
>
> > Let G be a nontrivial profinite group. Let G_0 be a proper closed
> > subgroup of G and let H be a subgroup of G/G_0 of prime index in G/
> > G_0. HG_0 is a maximal proper closed subgroup of G, but it is not
> > necessarily unique.
>
> Dear Rupert,
>
> Every subgroup of prime index surely is maximal. But I don't
> understand why H exists...

Yes, you are right, this is not clear. I thought it followed from
finite group theory. It would be the case when G/G_0 is a p-group.

> I tried a different and very standard approach:
> Let G be a non-trivial Hausdorff group.
> Let F be the family of all closed proper subgroups. Order F partially
> by inclusion. Since {1} belongs to F, F is non-empty.
> To apply Zorn's Lemma it is enough show that every chain in F has an
> upper bound in F. Let (H_a lpha) be a chain in F.
> Let H be the union of all H_alpha, then H is a subgroup (but not
> necessary closed).
> Let C be the closure of H in G , then C is a closed subgroup of G.
> Is C properly contained in G? If so, we are done.

This would not be true in general. For example, if G is the absolute
Galois group of Q, then G has closed proper subgroups of index 2 and 3
respectively, and their union is all of G.