From: Louis Burnside on
Hello everybody!

A maximal compact subgroup does not exist even for a general Lie
group.
However, there is the famous Malcev-Iwasawa theorem
(e.g.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3_BPupMDRr8C&pg=PA263&dq=malcev-iwasawa+theorem&hl=en&ei=ldhhTOSqKYWglAfP0fjuDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=malcev-iwasawa%20theorem&f=false

).
I want to understand, for instance, the simple case when G is compact
and totally disconnected:
Is the existence of a maximal compact subgroup obvious in this case?
Is there a simple proof?

Best wishes,
Louis.
From: Rupert on
On Aug 11, 10:22 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> A maximal compact subgroup does not exist even for a general Lie
> group.
> However, there is the famous Malcev-Iwasawa theorem
> (e.g.
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=3_BPupMDRr8C&pg=PA263&dq=malcev-iwas...
>
> ).
> I want to understand, for instance, the simple case when G is compact
> and totally disconnected:
> Is the existence of a maximal compact subgroup obvious in this case?
> Is there a simple proof?
>
> Best wishes,
> Louis.

Do you perhaps mean "locally compact"?
From: Louis Burnside on
On 10 Ago, 21:47, Rupert <rupertmccal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 10:22 am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello everybody!
>
> > A maximal compact subgroup does not exist even for a general Lie
> > group.
> > However, there is the famous Malcev-Iwasawa theorem
> > (e.g.
>
> >http://books.google.com/books?id=3_BPupMDRr8C&pg=PA263&dq=malcev-iwas...
>
> > ).
> > I want to understand, for instance, the simple case when G is compact
> > and totally disconnected:
> > Is the existence of a maximal compact subgroup obvious in this case?
> > Is there a simple proof?
>
> > Best wishes,
> > Louis.
>
> Do you perhaps mean "locally compact"?

Hi Rupert!

I really mean compact. I just learned that a compact and totally
disconnected group is also called a profinite group.
So maybe we can somehow build the maximal compact subgroup from the
maximal subgroups of the finite quotients of it.
I don't know...

Best,
Louis.
From: David C. Ullrich on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:19:25 -0700 (PDT), Louis Burnside
<burnside.louis(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10 Ago, 21:47, Rupert <rupertmccal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 10:22�am, Louis Burnside <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Hello everybody!
>>
>> > A maximal compact subgroup does not exist even for a general Lie
>> > group.
>> > However, there is the famous Malcev-Iwasawa theorem
>> > (e.g.
>>
>> >http://books.google.com/books?id=3_BPupMDRr8C&pg=PA263&dq=malcev-iwas...
>>
>> > ).
>> > I want to understand, for instance, the simple case when G is compact
>> > and totally disconnected:
>> > Is the existence of a maximal compact subgroup obvious in this case?
>> > Is there a simple proof?
>>
>> > Best wishes,
>> > Louis.
>>
>> Do you perhaps mean "locally compact"?
>
>Hi Rupert!
>
>I really mean compact.

Fine. If G is compact then G is a maximal compact subgroup of G.

From: Louis Burnside on
On 11 Ago, 08:13, David C. Ullrich <ullr...(a)math.okstate.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:19:25 -0700 (PDT), Louis Burnside
>

> <burnside.lo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Do you perhaps mean "locally compact"?
>
> >Hi Rupert!
>
> >I really mean compact.
>
> Fine. If G is compact then G is a maximal compact subgroup of G.
>

> >I just learned that a compact and totally
> >disconnected group is also called a profinite group.
> >So maybe we can somehow build the maximal compact subgroup from the
> >maximal subgroups of the finite quotients of it.
> >I don't know...
>
> >Best,
> >Louis.

What I really meant is maximal compact proper subgroup of G - sorry.
Equivalently, maximal closed proper subgroup if G is compact (and
Hausdorff).

Best,
Louis.