From: MP on
oops
think I did a boo-boo
:-(

I've been working on a dll/ revising / unregistering / breaking compat
/re-registering....
once time the other night I forgot to unregister before recompiling
so now i had two references to my dll in the component manager dialog box

no problem I thought, just unregister, use regedit to remove all references
to cDataMgr (the class name in my dll)

well there were a lot of them...<g>
I really had no business to be doing what I did but that's water under the
bridge now.
I deleted them all...apparently not a good thing to do (I thought they were
just related to my own class)

the good news is now there were no more instances of my dll in the component
box
re-registered and now back to one instance
when I opened the exe that creates the dll, the form which had a progress
bar and a listview had errors opening.
the form.log follows:
Line 69: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control ListView1 was not a loaded
control class.
Line 249: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control ProgBar was not a loaded
control class.
(and a few more lines about these two controls properties)

and of course the progbar and listview were now picktureboxes on the form

crapola, as they say,
the tool bar no longer had progress bar or listview available...eeks :-(

Ok back to Component manager, re select Microsoft Windows Common Controls
cant remember which one has progbar and listview so checked them all
got an error about conflict with loaded control class....
now the only checkboxes that will stay checked in the controls tab of the
components dialog are
MsWindows Common Controls 5.0(sp2)
and
MsWindows Common Controls-2 5.0(sp2)

when i try to check
MsWindows Common Controls 6.0(sp4)(which I think I had in the past...not
sure) i get the error:
Name conflicts with existing module....
and the dialog vanishes
When I try to uncheck
MsWindows Common Controls 5.0(sp2) so as to be able to check
MsWindows Common Controls 6.0(sp4)
(thinking that may be the cause of name conflict error)
I get cannot unload control or reference: in use

Well I got the progress bar and listview back on the tool bar with those 5.0
references and thought all was ok but now the line in my form that sets a
reference to the progbar gives me a type mismatch error
in declarations
Private moProgBar as ProgressBar
in LoadFormStuff sub
Set moProgBar = Me.ProgBar1(name of progress bar on form)
error"Type mismatch"

any help for this dummy?

From: aalaan on
and I thought *I* had problems!

From: Matt Williamson on
> oops
> think I did a boo-boo
> :-(

<Snip>

> Well I got the progress bar and listview back on the tool bar with those
> 5.0
> references and thought all was ok but now the line in my form that sets a
> reference to the progbar gives me a type mismatch error
> in declarations
> Private moProgBar as ProgressBar
> in LoadFormStuff sub
> Set moProgBar = Me.ProgBar1(name of progress bar on form)
> error"Type mismatch"
>
> any help for this dummy?

My first suggestion. Use VMWare or Virtual PC images and this problem
doesn't exist. Obviously, that's no help now. Are you running XP? If so, try
a system restore from your last restore point. If that's not an option, I'd
re-install Visual Studio.

From: Ken Halter on
"MP" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
> oops
> think I did a boo-boo
> :-(
>
> I've been working on a dll/ revising / unregistering / breaking compat
> /re-registering....
> once time the other night I forgot to unregister before recompiling
> so now i had two references to my dll in the component manager dialog box

Next time that happens, grab RegClean. It was designed to get rid of left
over garbage from DLLs and OCXs. Actually, it's handy to have at any time.
You'd be surprised at the amount of pure junk you have in your registry. The
first time you run this, you'll probably get a fairly huge "undo" file.

***RegClean Disclaimer***
Note that it's no longer supported by MS (they don't want to hear of any
problems you have with it <g>)... All I can say is... "Works fine here" <g>
There are reports of minor problems involving Win2k with Office2k installed
(VB asks for Office CD when starting) because RegClean removes a required
Office2k registry entry.. but, that doesn't happen often, effects Win2k +
Office2k only (so far) and is easily fixed so... fwiw, I run it both on
(WinXP with OfficeXP @ home) and (Win2k with Office97 @ work) and haven't
had a single RegClean related problem. I've also used it on every other OS.

Here's RegClean in case you don't have it.
RegClean (ZDNet)
http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=regclean&cat=230&promo=120000&docid=179056

> when i try to check
> MsWindows Common Controls 6.0(sp4)(which I think I had in the past...not
> sure) i get the error:
> Name conflicts with existing module....

That's a different problem. What happened there was VB stored a reference to
an OCA file instead of the OCX in your project (vbp) file. This happens once
in a while... especially when working with group projects.

help with VB 6.0 project using 3rd party control - not loading
http://groups.google.com.my/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/browse_frm/thread/3734e016e3d29a0a/

> Set moProgBar = Me.ProgBar1(name of progress bar on form)
> error"Type mismatch"

That's because the V5 version is ComctlLib and V6 is MSComctlLib... for
example, here's the column header declaration (from the ColumnClick event)
for a listview. One from each version of the ocx. If you get rid of the OCA
problem, that type mismatch should go away... if you've already done all
changes required to make the V5 controls work and would rather just stick
with those, you'll have to do some manual editing of event handler
declarations and possibly the frm file itself (using notepad)

ByVal ColumnHeader As ComctlLib.ColumnHeader <<--V5
ByVal ColumnHeader As MSComctlLib.ColumnHeader <<--V6

I'm not sure if you've seen this or not... but this post tells how to set up
an association with Regsvr32 so you can double-click to register and
right-click to unregister any ocx or dll. Saves hours and hours of work.
http://groups.google.com.my/group/microsoft.public.vb.enterprise/msg/6bf2dffce7196fff

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
In Loving Memory - http://www.vbsight.com/Remembrance.htm

From: MP on
"Ken Halter" <Ken_Halter(a)Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "MP" <nospam(a)Thanks.com> wrote in message
> > oops
> > think I did a boo-boo
> > :-(
> >
> > I've been working on a dll/ revising / unregistering / breaking compat
> > /re-registering....
> > once time the other night I forgot to unregister before recompiling
> > so now i had two references to my dll in the component manager dialog
box

> Next time that happens, grab RegClean. It was designed to get rid of left
> over garbage from DLLs and OCXs. Actually, it's handy to have at any time.
> You'd be surprised at the amount of pure junk you have in your registry.
The
> first time you run this, you'll probably get a fairly huge "undo" file.

Hi Ken,
What's funny is the first thing I tried was regclean
It did create an undo file
I looked in there and there was a ton of autocad stuff in there
that got me a bit worried so i opened acad to make sure it was ok and sure
enought important stuff was hosed by regclean
so i double clicked the undo and thank ms <g> that fixed acad....really big
WHEW there !!!....
(maybe I have an old version of regclean?)

anyway that's when i thought , oh yeah, it's regedit Im supposed to be
using(just kill the stuff that was my project (or so I thought)

win2k here

> Here's RegClean in case you don't have it.
> RegClean (ZDNet)

http://downloads.zdnet.com/download.aspx?&kw=regclean&cat=230&promo=120000&docid=179056

I look there and see if it's a different version than the one I had....oh
maybe not...i think i deleted them all after the acad fiasco and decided
never to use again....
:-)

What happened there was VB stored a reference to
> an OCA file instead of the OCX in your project (vbp) file. This happens
once
> in a while... especially when working with group projects.

I'll check the vbp and delete the oca refs

> I'm not sure if you've seen this or not... but this post tells how to set
up
> an association with Regsvr32 so you can double-click to register and
> right-click to unregister any ocx or dll. Saves hours and hours of work.

http://groups.google.com.my/group/microsoft.public.vb.enterprise/msg/6bf2dffce7196fff

Thanks again,
I'll check all that
Mark