From: Wolf K on
Ike wrote:
> I've used McAfee since probably version 1.0 and it has never
> frustrated me more than now. I have the current version on XP SP3 and
> it automatically does an entire system scan every day even though I
> have automatic scheduled scanning disabled. This is a real PITA
> because I have two huge external hard drives hooked up to this PC
> which means it takes several hours to complete and is dog slow while
> scanning. I Googled the problem and it seems a few other people have
> the same issue. but no solution. The entire system scan comes up virus
> free. Any ideas how to fix it? I have not tried a complete uninstall
> and reinstall, yet.

Uninstall it completely. Use Revo (free) or Your Uninstaller (free
version limited to four uninstalls per program start). This will
eliminate all traces of the program, so that a fresh install should work
as configured.

Then, if you must, reinstall McAfee.

But my recommendation is to dump it. There are many better alternatives.
Even Norton 2009 and 2010 have received better reviews.

FWIW, I use Vipre as background protector (mostly because a former
student of mine is a virus hunter for Sunbelt Systems). In addition, I
use a number of on-demand scanners: Avira, Spybot Search & Destroy,
Malwarebytes Antimalware, and occasionally Superantispyware and others.
My system occasionally picks up a key-logger from a website (surprising
how many apparently innocent sites are infected), but that's about all.

HTH
wolf k.