From: Tool21man on
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have windows media player 11 installed on
my system. I am having trouble playing any vidoes with the .wmv file
extension. upon trying to play one of these videos I window pops up says
that windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close, then
media player shuts down.

I've tried rolling back to media player 9 and 10; and tried reinstalling
media player 11. I've even tried using Real player to play these files but
still get the same result. I've concluded that it is most likely something
with the operating system but not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem? Has anyone
encountered this before? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Tool21man
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 28, 7:51 pm, Tool21man <Tool21...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have windows media player 11 installed on
> my system.  I am having trouble playing any vidoes with the .wmv file
> extension.  upon trying to play one of these videos I window pops up says
> that windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close, then
> media player shuts down.
>
> I've tried rolling back to media player 9 and 10; and tried reinstalling
> media player 11.  I've even tried using Real player to play these files but
> still get the same result.  I've concluded that it is most likely something
> with the operating system but not sure.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  Has anyone
> encountered this before?  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you
>
> Tool21man

It might be cause by missing or damaged media codecs. You can
normally fix this by installing a codec download pack like "k-lite."
From: Tool21man on
I downloaded the k-lite codec pack, rebooted my computer and tried playing a
..wmv file again. I got the same result, it shuts down immediately. Is there
anything else I might be able to try?

tool21man

From: Tom Willett on
There are many MS Windows Media Players newsgroups. Try asking there.

"Tool21man" <Tool21man(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I downloaded the k-lite codec pack, rebooted my computer and tried playing
: .wmv file again. I got the same result, it shuts down immediately. Is
there
: anything else I might be able to try?
:
: tool21man
:
:
: > wrote:
: > > I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 and have windows media player 11
installed on
: > > my system. I am having trouble playing any vidoes with the .wmv file
: > > extension. upon trying to play one of these videos I window pops up
says
: > > that windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to
close, then
: > > media player shuts down.
: > >
: > > I've tried rolling back to media player 9 and 10; and tried
reinstalling
: > > media player 11. I've even tried using Real player to play these
files but
: > > still get the same result. I've concluded that it is most likely
something
: > > with the operating system but not sure.
: > >
: > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem? Has
anyone
: > > encountered this before? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
: > >
: > > Tool21man
: >
: > It might be cause by missing or damaged media codecs. You can
: > normally fix this by installing a codec download pack like "k-lite."
: > .
: >