From: Bernhard Mayer on
Dear fellow VO'ers!

In my application I have a timer function doing some import work; every time
the timer is fired (~ 10 seconds) I can see that the application's used
memory increases in the task manager whereas the VO functions

Memory(MEMORY_REGISTERAXIT)
DynInfoUsed()

show constant values. What can I do to force VO to release the used memory?
I tried CollectForced() and DynShrink() with no success.

It is definitely a problem if the application runs for a few hours on
terminal server systems. Writing a service doing this job is planned in the
future but is not possible now.

Using VO 2.831

TIA,
Bernhard

From: Dirk (Belgium) on
Bernhard Mayer wrote:

> Dear fellow VO'ers!
>
> In my application I have a timer function doing some import work;
> every time the timer is fired (~ 10 seconds) I can see that the
> application's used memory increases in the task manager whereas the
> VO functions
>
> Memory(MEMORY_REGISTERAXIT)
> DynInfoUsed()
>
> show constant values. What can I do to force VO to release the used
> memory? I tried CollectForced() and DynShrink() with no success.
>
> It is definitely a problem if the application runs for a few hours on
> terminal server systems. Writing a service doing this job is planned
> in the future but is not possible now.
>
> Using VO 2.831
>
> TIA,
> Bernhard

See grafxsoft newsserver !!!

Dirk, Belgium

From: Bernhard Mayer on
In addition: Memory(MEMORY_STACK_FREE) and Memory(MEMORY_STACK_SIZE) are
constant, too.

From: Klaus on
Hi Bernhard,
i had the same some time ago, after a restart of the task manager the
memory where low again.
Thought the task manager blocks the memory.

regards
Klaus

From: Geoff Schaller on
Bernhard.

But why do you say you have a problem? Does the app crash? How much
memory is assigned that you are worried over? Did you watch your app for
10 hrs? Basically, this is entirely normal windows behaviour. Usually
the OS will not request dynamic memory back from an application unless
it really needs it. It is often cheaper to let an application keep the
memory space it used than reduce it, thus forcing the application to
continually reallocate.

The second thing to remember (from a TS perspective) is that your VO
application is restricted to 16MB of dyn RAM unless you did something to
increase that deliberately. So no matter what, your app has a natural
ceiling. The rest is OS management and I wouldn't bother worrying.

Geoff