From: ozzy.kopec on
Ron wrote:
> "UK-Contractor42" <lawrence.foster(a)uk.zurich.com> wrote:
>
> >One of my current contract tasks is to put a old, vulnerable
> >application based on 16bit code on a firmer footing by researching,
> >documenting and testing changes to it.
> >Build architecture is Windows NT4 SP4, Microfocus COBOL 3.2.43,
>
> Is that even working, today? MF COBOL 3.2 wasn't Y2K compliant.
>
> --
==========
Version 3.2.20 L2.5 revision 000 on my end. Running in straight DOS
on Win 95 machines, a few others in a DOS box under W2K. No problems
dealing with Y2K. Now, when I tried to access a 8GB file on a server,
that be a different story.

From: Vivian on
We had trouble installing MicroFocus 3.2 after the year 2000, so we
always assumed the install was the "reason" it wasn't year 2000
compliant. As a result, we did our last release in 16-bit that year
(2000), and moved to a newer version of MicroFocus. So, how "recent"
is the "recent" experience you're asking about? I still have a
complete set of the 3.2 manuals, they were hardcopies at the time. I
still, occasionally, reference them, because the basic Cobol features
and functions really haven't changed.

We moved to 32-bit simply by changing our MicroFocus compiler. There
weren't any code changes needed. So, I wonder, why would you stay with
the 16-bit application if you could have a 32 bit version simply by
recompiling? Is there something in the code that is keeping you at 16
bit? Why not use the 32 bit MicroFocus compiler?

From: HeyBub on
Vivian wrote:
> We had trouble installing MicroFocus 3.2 after the year 2000, so we
> always assumed the install was the "reason" it wasn't year 2000
> compliant. As a result, we did our last release in 16-bit that year
> (2000), and moved to a newer version of MicroFocus. So, how "recent"
> is the "recent" experience you're asking about? I still have a
> complete set of the 3.2 manuals, they were hardcopies at the time. I
> still, occasionally, reference them, because the basic Cobol features
> and functions really haven't changed.
>
> We moved to 32-bit simply by changing our MicroFocus compiler. There
> weren't any code changes needed. So, I wonder, why would you stay
> with the 16-bit application if you could have a 32 bit version simply
> by recompiling? Is there something in the code that is keeping you
> at 16 bit? Why not use the 32 bit MicroFocus compiler?

'Cause the 32-bit version costs bags and bags of bucks plus wheel-barrow
loads of money for each runtime?