From: jw on
I haven't used sound input on my computer for a long while. It used
to work, Now, despite the fact that I get sound fine when playing a
video DVD, I get no sound when I use my microphone . As a simple
test, I executed MS's 'sound recorder' and tried to record my voice.
Nothing, I checked the mobo manual to assure that my microphone was
connected right, and it is. I checked sounds in Control
Panel>Sounds, and I get sounds fine.

I must have forgotten something crucial to this operation, Anyone
suggest what I missed?

Duke

From: J G Miller on
On Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 at 14:55:41h -0400, JW asked:

> I must have forgotten something crucial to this operation, Anyone
> suggest what I missed?

You need to fire up the mixer panel control, ensure that microphone does
not have the mute box ticked, and also set the microphone input level
slider appropriately.
From: Paul on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 at 14:55:41h -0400, JW asked:
>
>> I must have forgotten something crucial to this operation, Anyone
>> suggest what I missed?
>
> You need to fire up the mixer panel control, ensure that microphone does
> not have the mute box ticked, and also set the microphone input level
> slider appropriately.

Mixer panels or custom control panels, can be deceptive.
The microphone can appear *twice* in the interface, once
in the playback controls and once in the record controls.
One control is for "what you hear" and the other is for
recording. Make sure you've got both of them set the way you
want.

http://www.guruextraordinaire.com/images/realtek/scrolltomic.png

Also, the Sound control panel for the OS, contains options
to use different sound cards in the same computer. When
you install a new card, it tends to "boot out" the other
card, and make itself the primary device. If you have
multiple sound cards (onboard HDAudio, video card HDMI audio,
sound on a WinTV card), those can take over from one
another if you're not careful to verify the panel later.

This shows an example, that has a menu for selecting from
multiple sources. If I installed my webcam with built-in
microphone, it would "take over" a panel like this, and
have to be corrected.

http://www.instantventrilo.com/static/img/support/windows-control-panel-recording.jpg

Paul
From: jw on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:18:33 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>J G Miller wrote:

>> You need to fire up the mixer panel control, ensure that microphone does
>> not have the mute box ticked, and also set the microphone input level
>> slider appropriately.
>
>Mixer panels or custom control panels, can be deceptive.
>The microphone can appear *twice* in the interface, once
>in the playback controls and once in the record controls.
>One control is for "what you hear" and the other is for
>recording. Make sure you've got both of them set the way you
>want.
>
>http://www.guruextraordinaire.com/images/realtek/scrolltomic.png
>
>Also, the Sound control panel for the OS, contains options
>to use different sound cards in the same computer. When
>you install a new card, it tends to "boot out" the other
>card, and make itself the primary device. If you have
>multiple sound cards (onboard HDAudio, video card HDMI audio,
>sound on a WinTV card), those can take over from one
>another if you're not careful to verify the panel later.
>
>This shows an example, that has a menu for selecting from
>multiple sources. If I installed my webcam with built-in
>microphone, it would "take over" a panel like this, and
>have to be corrected.
>
>http://www.instantventrilo.com/static/img/support/windows-control-panel-recording.jpg
>
> Paul

Hi Paul. Good ole dependable.

Anyway, let me tell what I am really doing. I have done it before on
the same computer, as i said.

The computer is a K8M8MSR2-VC (MACHSPEED).
I am running XP SP3.
What I want to do is copy music from vinyl player to CD,
The player is connected to a TC-750LC phono preamp.
The preamp is connected to the computer.
I have tried both microphone and line in.
I am using Golden Records to do the converting,
I get no sound from the vinyl player to convert!

In desperation, I tested things by connecting my microphone to the
computer and used MS's Sound Recorder to hopefully record my voice.
(I thought to eliminate the possibility that the TC-750LC phono preamp
is bad.)
Nada. No voice recorded.

I can play video and audio disks on this computer fine.
I can make sounds in ControlPanel>SoundAndAudioDevices>Sounds fine,
I do NOT have a second sound card installed.

This worked a few months ago, Now it does not,
From: Paul on
jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:18:33 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
>
>> J G Miller wrote:
>
>>> You need to fire up the mixer panel control, ensure that microphone does
>>> not have the mute box ticked, and also set the microphone input level
>>> slider appropriately.
>> Mixer panels or custom control panels, can be deceptive.
>> The microphone can appear *twice* in the interface, once
>> in the playback controls and once in the record controls.
>> One control is for "what you hear" and the other is for
>> recording. Make sure you've got both of them set the way you
>> want.
>>
>> http://www.guruextraordinaire.com/images/realtek/scrolltomic.png
>>
>> Also, the Sound control panel for the OS, contains options
>> to use different sound cards in the same computer. When
>> you install a new card, it tends to "boot out" the other
>> card, and make itself the primary device. If you have
>> multiple sound cards (onboard HDAudio, video card HDMI audio,
>> sound on a WinTV card), those can take over from one
>> another if you're not careful to verify the panel later.
>>
>> This shows an example, that has a menu for selecting from
>> multiple sources. If I installed my webcam with built-in
>> microphone, it would "take over" a panel like this, and
>> have to be corrected.
>>
>> http://www.instantventrilo.com/static/img/support/windows-control-panel-recording.jpg
>>
>> Paul
>

> Hi Paul. Good ole dependable.
>
> Anyway, let me tell what I am really doing. I have done it before on
> the same computer, as i said.
>
> The computer is a K8M8MSR2-VC (MACHSPEED).
> I am running XP SP3.
> What I want to do is copy music from vinyl player to CD,
> The player is connected to a TC-750LC phono preamp.
> The preamp is connected to the computer.
> I have tried both microphone and line in.
> I am using Golden Records to do the converting,
> I get no sound from the vinyl player to convert!
>
> In desperation, I tested things by connecting my microphone to the
> computer and used MS's Sound Recorder to hopefully record my voice.
> (I thought to eliminate the possibility that the TC-750LC phono preamp
> is bad.)
> Nada. No voice recorded.
>
> I can play video and audio disks on this computer fine.
> I can make sounds in ControlPanel>SoundAndAudioDevices>Sounds fine,
> I do NOT have a second sound card installed.
>
> This worked a few months ago, Now it does not,

You have a RealTek AC'97 audio chip (upper left corner here), but
I cannot make out which exact chip.

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jetway/pic/big2/K8M8MSR2-VC.jpg

( http://www.jetway.com.tw/jetway/system/productshow2.asp?id=152&proname=K8M8MSR2-VC )

Check the RealTek control panel, and make sure the appropriate
input(s) are unmuted.

And also check the Windows Sound control panel.

I suggested other interfering sources, such as a webcam with
microphone. You have to go into the Windows Sound control panel
and verify the RealTek is your source.

Paul