From: christinaxscenekid on

I have a desktop computer dont remeber what brand. For a while it would
randomly turn off by itself when ever it wanted and run real slow and i
would just have to turn it back on. A couple weeks ago it turned off
again and now it wont turn back on everything is plugged in. Im not sure
whats wrong with it and why its not turning on no matter what i do, but
i know pretty much nothing about computers.........what do i do?

From: davy on

Pity you didn't give a little more clues as to how old it is, and the
make if at all possible.

If the fans aren't running, that is it appears completely dead the
first thing I would go for would be to try swapping the power supply
unit first of all going from the information you have given.

It could well be the bios back up battery, but I would not like to
suggest this at this stage because if this battery is removed for more
than two minutes or so, you will have to do a bios set up once the
machine is up and running... don't let this scare you it's easy really.

The first obective is to get the machine powering up and booting the
bios properly called POST (Power On Self Test), this is the bios doind a
self check before handing control over to the CPU and hard drive, you
usually get a single bleep telling you it's OK and raring to go.

davy

From: philo on
On 05/08/2010 10:23 PM, christinaxscenekid wrote:
> I have a desktop computer dont remeber what brand. For a while it would
> randomly turn off by itself when ever it wanted and run real slow and i
> would just have to turn it back on. A couple weeks ago it turned off
> again and now it wont turn back on everything is plugged in. Im not sure
> whats wrong with it and why its not turning on no matter what i do, but
> i know pretty much nothing about computers.........what do i do?

Since you know nothing about computers

there is nothing you can do to fix it...
so take it to a repair shop

sheesh
From: Jan Alter on
"Joel" <Joel(a)NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> christinaxscenekid <christinaxscenekid.4apda3(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I have a desktop computer dont remeber what brand. For a while it would
>> randomly turn off by itself when ever it wanted and run real slow and i
>> would just have to turn it back on. A couple weeks ago it turned off
>> again and now it wont turn back on everything is plugged in. Im not sure
>> whats wrong with it and why its not turning on no matter what i do, but
>> i know pretty much nothing about computers.........what do i do?
>
> Well, you don't know much about computer as we don't know much about
> psychic to read your mind either.
>
> In general, just start with the Power Supply, Blowing off the dirt on
> power supply, CPU etc.. then feeding more clue that you know when we
> don't.

Being upbeat about your situation is tough simply by the way you describe
the problem. I too would suggest that you take the computer to a repair shop
because it sounds like you are looking for spontaneous regeneration without
you having to learn or do anything. You saying that you know nothing about
computers is the giveaway here, and wanting folks to having to explain and
describe each detail to a possible fix is highly unfair to their time and
the very probable fact that you will do further damage beyond what has
already occurred.

That said, with no warranty, and perhaps you either overcoming some possible
fear, or gaining some gonads, try changing the power supply with a known
good one. Make sure the computer is unplugged first. Take a picture of the
inside of the computer to use it for reference before you start the trade
and get yourself a phillips screwdriver. Grounding yourself before you start
would be good as well.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Paul on
Jan Alter wrote:
> "Joel" <Joel(a)NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> christinaxscenekid <christinaxscenekid.4apda3(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a desktop computer dont remeber what brand. For a while it would
>>> randomly turn off by itself when ever it wanted and run real slow and i
>>> would just have to turn it back on. A couple weeks ago it turned off
>>> again and now it wont turn back on everything is plugged in. Im not sure
>>> whats wrong with it and why its not turning on no matter what i do, but
>>> i know pretty much nothing about computers.........what do i do?
>> Well, you don't know much about computer as we don't know much about
>> psychic to read your mind either.
>>
>> In general, just start with the Power Supply, Blowing off the dirt on
>> power supply, CPU etc.. then feeding more clue that you know when we
>> don't.
>

> Being upbeat about your situation is tough simply by the way you describe
> the problem. I too would suggest that you take the computer to a repair shop
> because it sounds like you are looking for spontaneous regeneration without
> you having to learn or do anything. You saying that you know nothing about
> computers is the giveaway here, and wanting folks to having to explain and
> describe each detail to a possible fix is highly unfair to their time and
> the very probable fact that you will do further damage beyond what has
> already occurred.
>
> That said, with no warranty, and perhaps you either overcoming some possible
> fear, or gaining some gonads, try changing the power supply with a known
> good one. Make sure the computer is unplugged first. Take a picture of the
> inside of the computer to use it for reference before you start the trade
> and get yourself a phillips screwdriver. Grounding yourself before you start
> would be good as well.

I'm not sure the OP can see most of the replies.
The original posting can be seen here, and only the
reply from Davy can be seen. (I.e. At the moment,
on this site, the thread has two articles in it.)

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/hardware/my-computer-not-turning-help-285021.html

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2