From: Swifty on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:19:42 -0700, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>A microphone won't really work if plugged into the Line-In jack, because the
>signal from a microphone is too weak to effectively drive it

I believe that it goes further than that. My old PC had a microphone
socket at the front, and Line-in at the back. My microphone comes with
a pre-amplifier so works fine in the Line-in socket. On to the
problem:

I was using Live Messenger. I went into the audio setup and adjusted
my microphone volume. It worked perfectly (remember, into Line-in).

Then I started a video call. The other person could not hear me.

It seems that the audio setup monitors both Microphone and Line-in,
but the video call takes input only from Microphone. A bit of
re-wiring fixed the problem, albeit nowhere near as neat as it had
been.

So I got a new PC, and that had both Microphone and Line-in round the
back. Perfect! (I had better reasons for the upgrade)

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Yousuf Khan on
Bill in Co. wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> Sindre wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I got a new microphone some days ago, and i want to make some narrating
>>> at a
>>> video i'm making.
>>> But the microphone wont work.
>>> The sound is on full and everything is unmuted.
>>> The driver is updated.
>>>
>>> I've tested it in Sony Vegas, Skype, Audacity and the built-in voice
>>> recorder. I'm using Windows XP 32bit HP m7695sc-a and Røde NTG-2
>>> microphone with XLR
>>> to Jack cable
>>>
>>> What to do to get it working?
>> Besides what Ken said, you should also make sure you know whether you've
>> plugged it into the microphone plug, or the line-in plug. Either will
>> work for your microphone,
>
> A microphone won't really work if plugged into the Line-In jack, because the
> signal from a microphone is too weak to effectively drive it. (At best he
> might *barely* hear it).

Well, then that'll probably be one reason he might not be able to hear
anything.

Yousuf Khan
From: Bill in Co. on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Yousuf Khan wrote:

>>> Besides what Ken said, you should also make sure you know whether you've
>>> plugged it into the microphone plug, or the line-in plug. Either will
>>> work for your microphone,
>>
>> A microphone won't really work if plugged into the Line-In jack, because
>> the
>> signal from a microphone is too weak to effectively drive it. (At best
>> he
>> might *barely* hear it).
>
> Well, then that'll probably be one reason he might not be able to hear
> anything.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Yeah. A microphone might typically put out around 10 mv or so. The Line
Input typically expects around 0.5 V (500 mv) or so.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: help plz
Next: Recycle Bin Restoring