From: Richard Webb on
On Sat 2038-Jan-30 17:08, liquidator writes:
>"> The 55 is an sm57 capsule which is the same bare capsule in the 58.
>"> So it won't help at all.

> I second (actually third) the 845 I still have 3 I kept.

Makes a third. They're good microphones, and might serve
her much better than the 58.

HOw's her mic technique otherwise?

Regards,
Richard
From: Rupert on
On Jan 30, 9:46 am, BJth...(a)the.controls wrote:
> My daughter is currently studying for her doctorate at Sussex University,
> and sings with a local bandwww.notownlikemotown.comas well doing solo
> gigs to backing tracks.
>
> She's asked me for suggestions about a microphone, saying that she's
> noticed that the SM58 that she's invariably given makes her 'screech' and
> she's never loud enough because th drummer's too loud :)
>
> My suggestions to her have been a Sennheiser 845 or 865, or a cheap and
> cheerful Behringer XM8500.
>
> She loves the 'look' of the Shure 55.
>
> She's not a strident singer, and isn't afraid to 'kiss' the microphone if
> needs be.
>
> Her budget is limited - as is her dad's :)
>
> Helpful suggestions welcomed.
>
> cheers
>
> BJ
> Only users lose drugs.
>
> ROT13 this <OWgu...(a)hfn.arg> to contact me.

I'll agree with others that the 845 is a good sounding mic for female
vocals. However, if you're having a problem with picking up a lot of
the drummer, I've had very good results with the Audix OM6 on female
voices *if* they have good mic technique and can stay on axis and on
top of the mic. You indicated your daughter can "kiss the mic" which
would be needed with such a mic (or any mic in that situation). If
this is the case, then the OM6 will pay off in sound quality, off axis
rejection, and gain before feedback in the monitors. If she can't say
on top of the mic or has a weak voice, it will be more of a liability
than an asset and she would be better off with a mic that doesn't have
as much off axis rejection. But picking up off axis sound sources will
remain a problem.

Rupert
From: geoff on
BJtheDJ(a)the.controls wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:08:13 -0500, "liquidator"
> <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:

After trialing various Sennies incl. 845, Audixs, RODE M1, and AKG D5, I
just bought 8 x D5s.

May or may not suit your daughter - best try what you can, where you can.

geoff

From: Tim Perry on

"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 30, 9:46 am, BJth...(a)the.controls wrote:
> My daughter is currently studying for her doctorate at Sussex University,
> and sings with a local bandwww.notownlikemotown.comas well doing solo
> gigs to backing tracks.
>
> She's asked me for suggestions about a microphone, saying that she's
> noticed that the SM58 that she's invariably given makes her 'screech' and
> she's never loud enough because th drummer's too loud :)
>
> My suggestions to her have been a Sennheiser 845 or 865, or a cheap and
> cheerful Behringer XM8500.
>
> She loves the 'look' of the Shure 55.
>
> She's not a strident singer, and isn't afraid to 'kiss' the microphone if
> needs be.
>
> Her budget is limited - as is her dad's :)
>
> Helpful suggestions welcomed.
>
> cheers
>
> BJ
> Only users lose drugs.
>
> ROT13 this <OWgu...(a)hfn.arg> to contact me.

>I'll agree with others that the 845 is a good sounding mic for female
vocals. However, if you're having a problem with picking up a lot of
the drummer, I've had very good results with the Audix OM6 on female
voices *if* they have good mic technique and can stay on axis and on
top of the mic. You indicated your daughter can "kiss the mic" which
would be needed with such a mic (or any mic in that situation). If
this is the case, then the OM6 will pay off in sound quality, off axis
rejection, and gain before feedback in the monitors. If she can't say
on top of the mic or has a weak voice, it will be more of a liability
than an asset and she would be better off with a mic that doesn't have
as much off axis rejection. But picking up off axis sound sources will
remain a problem.

I second the OM-6 recommendation. Also consider the Audix VX-5 this
condenser will sound quite different then the Dynamic but once the vocalists
get over the surprise of being able to hear themselves they may come to love
it.

Rupert

From: Phildo on

<BJtheDJ(a)the.controls> wrote in message
> My daughter is currently studying for her doctorate at Sussex University,
> and sings with a local band www.notownlikemotown.com as well doing solo
> gigs to backing tracks.
>
> She's asked me for suggestions about a microphone, saying that she's
> noticed that the SM58 that she's invariably given makes her 'screech' and
> she's never loud enough because th drummer's too loud :)
>
> My suggestions to her have been a Sennheiser 845 or 865, or a cheap and
> cheerful Behringer XM8500.

I'd second those that mention the Senny.

I have a Rode S1 here that I love which she is welcome to borrow and try out
if she wants to.

Phildo