From: Bee on
I have tried to control the microphone level on my laptop through code.
It reports back as unavailable even thoug the Recording Control show it as
adjustable.
On a friends laptop, my same code does have access to the control.

On my laptop, when I initially try to work with the mic the master volume
gets set to zero.
Is this a Windows XP feature?
So I save the master Vol setting then try the mic then restore the Master.

So far I have not been able to control the mic from the VB6 app on my laptop.
Is there a secret or does it depend on the drivers supplied by the laptop mfr?

Anyway, the bottom line questions is, how do I open the Windows Recording
Control so the user can have quick accsess to that functionality if I cannot
provide it directly in my app.
Need this also to work on Vista and Win7.

Manually it is many steps to get to the Recording Control.
I know people that do not even know there is such a Windows control.

From: Mike Williams on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have tried to control the microphone level on my laptop
> through code . . .

I'm not sure whether input levels are dealt with in the same manner as
output levels, but in Vista all normal attempts to change volume affect the
volume /only/ for that specific application. This is in fact the sensible
way to arrange things and it is about time they did it. I think that you
still can control the system wide levels in Vista if you really want to, but
it is generally frowned upon (as it always should have been) and is probably
a bit involved. I don't get involved much with audio myself, so I don't knwo
how to do it, but you can have a look here for starters:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms678715

Mike

From: Bee on
Yes, I have seen that for the output device on Vista and my app does control
that slider and Vista shows my app's name as the caption.
It is the input side that gives me heartburn, microphonewise.

From: Mike Williams on

> Yes, I have seen that for the output device on Vista and my
> app does control that slider and Vista shows my app's name
> as the caption.

Well I hope you are doing so ONLY after your code has specifically asked the
user for permission to do so and after it has received his permission, and
after making it clear to him that the adjustment will be system wide. Apps
that alter the system volume of their own accord really get up my nose! They
should be illegal! Tell me you're not doing that . . .

Mike

From: Norm Cook on

"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried to control the microphone level on my laptop through code.
> It reports back as unavailable even thoug the Recording Control show it as
> adjustable.
> On a friends laptop, my same code does have access to the control.
>
> On my laptop, when I initially try to work with the mic the master volume
> gets set to zero.
> Is this a Windows XP feature?
> So I save the master Vol setting then try the mic then restore the Master.
>
> So far I have not been able to control the mic from the VB6 app on my
> laptop.
> Is there a secret or does it depend on the drivers supplied by the laptop
> mfr?
>
> Anyway, the bottom line questions is, how do I open the Windows Recording
> Control so the user can have quick accsess to that functionality if I
> cannot
> provide it directly in my app.
> Need this also to work on Vista and Win7.
>
> Manually it is many steps to get to the Recording Control.
> I know people that do not even know there is such a Windows control.

Not a Vista user, but this works for XP SP3
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=66975&lngWId=1