From: Dennis Lacaba on
Hi David,

Thanks, I looked into this and am kind of shocked. MS expects developers to
pay $5000 for an msdn subscription with a bunch of things they don't need
just to learn Navision. No wonder they say there's a lack of resources in
the MS Dynamics field.

From: David Singleton on
I didn't realize the cost had gone up, it used to be $3,000. Yes I agree that
it can be a lot if you don't need the whole MSDN package, but if you plan to
work in Development, then MSDN can be good value for money. Of course you can
learn C# or VB via much cheaper routes.

I think though that Microsoft need to start re-evaluating this, since if you
buy MSDN, you can develop and SELL VB and C# code, which you can't do with
the Dynamics NAV license.

Most of this is for historical reasons, where Navision kept very tight
quality control over development, to try to keep good code out there.
Unfortunately over the past few years though that has backfired, because
Dynamics Partners can not afford the huge cost of training developers on
their payroll, and potential developers (especially university students) have
no access to tools to learn for them selves.

Now with a 1,000,000 user base, and expected growth of 20% per year, the
Dynamics NAV world is about to enter its biggest crisis in the form of a
shortage of trained developers and implementors, so they need to think very
very fast about getting tools out there into schools and to people that want
to learn.

By the way, the MSDN license gives you code access to Tables, Forms, Reports
Codeunits, Dataports, XML ports etc, in a new range 1,234,567,800 ..
1,234,567,899 and it also lets you open the code for a few of the standard
objects. To be a fuill training license though, it needs access to at least
VIEW the code in all base objects.

From: PalleA on
Yes MSDN is not cheap. But you have to remember that you get soo much
more than just access to a NAV package.

What you can do is find yourself a Dynamics NAV partner and apply for a
job, and then you will have full access to NAV without any costs :-)

The situation is rarely that you learn NAV on your own and THEN apply
for a job, I would even say that is impossible.

Schools and other institutions can apply for a Learning-licenses
directly to Microsoft in the various contries.

Microsoft has also started "Microsoft Dynamics University" (So far only
in Denmark). Where new NAV employees gets a lot of training to become
faster skilled in this great application.

The first round of trainees finished training a few months back with
great success.

Regards

PalleA