From: Deepak_Malhotra on

Dear All

I have one query regarding the Microsoft Project.

I have created a project plan, i have set the base line as well. now i
want to show the delay of each task.. how can i do that.

Say one of my task started on March 19, 2010 and was supposed to finish
on March 22, 2010.

However, the task started on time but finished on March 30, 2010. so i
want to show the delay of 8 days in the project plan...

How can i do that... please help...

--
Deepak_Malhotra
Deepak_Malhotra's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217556.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
A couple of options:

1) Navigate to the Tracking Gantt (Views > Tracking Gantt)
2) Expose either the Finish or Start Variance fields. Right click on a column
header, select Insert Column, and pick from the drop down fields.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: Rob Schneider on
Simplistically, you just show the project in say, the Tracking View, and
for that task fill in the appropridate start/finish dates in the columns
[Start Date] and [Finish Date].

If the project schedule is modelled in Project correctly, e.g.
subsequent tasks are not constratined to start or finish on specific
dates (I hope you did not enter start and end dates and intead let
Project compute the schedule?), and if that task which finish late is on
the critical path, then Project will recompute the schedule and show the
corresponding overall delay. If that task is not on the critical path,
then you'll likely not see any change in computed finish date.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: Trevor Rabey on
Get set up for tracking and updating so that you can see what you are doing,
6 steps:
Save a baseline
Set a status date
Show the Tracking Gantt View
Show the Tracking Table
Show the Tracking Toolbar
Format the gridlines to show the status date as a vertical red line on the
chart

Input the Actual Start date/time.
Input the Actual Duration, usually the number of days from the actual start
to the status date.
If necessary, ie you have laid more or less bricks than estimated, revise
the remaining duration

Experiment with the 2nd and 3rd buttons on the Tracking Toolbar.

Do not enter % Complete. The software calculates that for you from Actual
Duration/Total Duration.
Never show planned duration in the past.
Never show progress in the future.

The "physical" progress of the task, ie what has been done, how many bricks
have been laid or whatever, is not so important as what remains, because
that is what will mainly determine the estimate of the remaining duration.
The past is only of interest to the extent that it provides a clue about the
actual performance compared to the original estimate of performance, and has
or may have a bearing on the estimate of the remaining duration.

What the 2nd button on the Tracking Toolbar does.
If you have not entered the actual start, assumes the task started on the
scheduled start date and has been continuously in progress up to the status
date.
Automatically counts the days of actual duration and triggers the % Complete
calculation of Actual Duration/Total Duration.

If you have entered the actual start, assumes the task has been continuously
in progress from the actual start up to the status date.
Automatically counts the days of actual duration and triggers the % Complete
calculation of Actual Duration/Total Duration.

What the 3rd button on the Tracking Toolbar does.
If the task is scheduled in the past relative to the status date and has not
yet started, as of the status date, or if the task has actually stated but
was interrupted before the status date, then the button moves the planned
part of the task into the future relative to the status date.

It is common to see planned duration in the past and progress in the future.
They are both wrong but of the two, progress in the future is worst. Planned
duration in the past just indicates an update step not yet done, perhaps
just a mistake, and can be easily corrected with one click.
Progress in the future on the other hand, indicates a possible
mis-understanding. A 10 day task cannot be 80% complete if it only started 6
days ago.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955