From: nntp on
Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community. In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional languages in the next few days.

From: Mark McGinty on
To those of us who, for whatever reason, are still using "unsupported"
technologies, these news groups are a valuable resource. The quasi-related
forums to which they have invited us are hardly replacements, posts about
'classic' technologies will be OT, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who
posts questions about them would rather see responses more meaningful than,
"consider upgrading to [something that is still supported]."

In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures,
I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago,
www.deprecatethis.com, after reading that the Windows API was to be
deprecated. I think the sentiment applies here, so I'm offering it as a
replacement -- of course it isn't a news group, but at least the questions
we used to post here will be on-topic.

To be honest www.deprecatethis.com isn't much of a forum -- the software
(Yet Another Forum) is ok, but it isn't quite a hotbed of discussion. About
the only thing that has attracted any attention is a script I wrote to work
around the Send To->Mail Recipient problem in x64 with Office/Outlook
installed. That script is the only thing anyone (besides myself) has posted
about.

But maybe all that will change, I've created forums for classic ADO, classic
ASP and VB6; any suggestions/requests for additional
forums are welcome.

I understand the preference for NNTP over web-based forums, but
unfortunately I lack the means to host an NNTP server, this is all I have to
offer, so... Please consider yourself invited to join.

-Mark McGinty