From: Eileen Schuh on
It only took me 4 hours to find this spot, register, unblock
popups...etc.etc. Not a very user friendly site for a company that makes
their living off the internet! I have dealt with Norton and other internet
service companies and found their help much easier to access. To email a
question to the company whose products I'm using, I have to pay?
I need to reinstall my Microsoft Office product on a new laptop--to do so I
have to PHONE microsoft for a product key. PHONE? Pretty bizarre, Mr.
Gates.
Yes, my laptop crashed so I'm trying to get everything onto my new
laptop--not an easy task. Not a task made any easier by Microsoft, let me
tell you!

QUESTION: when searching files (while trying to find a product key), Windows
XP crashes, freezes, shutsdown my computer. Is it a conspiracy--so I have to
PHONE them (are they that lonely) or whatsup?
--
Eileen Schuh, Canadian Author
http://www.eileenschuh.com
From: Scott M. on

"Eileen Schuh" <EileenSchuh(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It only took me 4 hours to find this spot, register, unblock
> popups...etc.etc. Not a very user friendly site for a company that makes
> their living off the internet!

Unfortunately, this isn't the spot for your question. This is a forum for
questions relating to programming applications using Microsoft's ".NET"
programming platform.

> I have dealt with Norton and other internet
> service companies and found their help much easier to access.

Well, technically, Microsoft isn't an Internet Service Company. But,
regardless the problem with Microsoft help is that because they are the
largest software company on the planet, their help system/process is just
about the largest as well - I don't know how much you can expect that not to
be true.

>To email a
> question to the company whose products I'm using, I have to pay?

Uh yes. End user software doesn't usually come with technical support from
the software manufacturer unless there is a defect in the product. Can you
imagine the resources Microsoft would have to expend to support the millions
of people, each with plenty of questions about how to do this or that?

> I need to reinstall my Microsoft Office product on a new laptop--to do so
> have to PHONE microsoft for a product key. PHONE? Pretty bizarre, Mr.
> Gates.

Well, you wouldn't have to do that if you simply kept/stored the product key
you were given when you got the laptop in the first place. You expect
Microsoft to hand out product keys just for the asking?

> Yes, my laptop crashed so I'm trying to get everything onto my new
> laptop--not an easy task. Not a task made any easier by Microsoft, let me
> tell you!

Why should Microsoft need to take responsibility for your crashed laptop?

> QUESTION: when searching files (while trying to find a product key),
> Windows
> XP crashes, freezes, shutsdown my computer. Is it a conspiracy--so I have
> PHONE them (are they that lonely) or whatsup?

Do you understand that a product key is proof that your software was
purchased legitmately? If you've lost yours, then isn't a simple phone call
to Microsoft worth doing to help them with you losing your key?

The first result of this simple Google search seems to provide ample ways to
help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=locating+my+windows+product+key&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Sure, it's frustrating that your computer crashed. But, why is that
Microsoft's fault? You lost your product key (which is provided with the
product CD or on the sticker applied to your computer by the manufacturer).
Is that Microsoft's fault? If you're response is "I never got a CD or a
sticker.", then that is not Microsoft's fault either. It's the fault of the
person you got your laptop from - - so why don't you complain to them?

You need to stop whining and take responsibility for your part in your own
problems.

From: Miro on
As well...
I use this through windows mail as a newsgroup - so there was nothing needed
to find.

I just asked it to show me all the newsgroups on news.microsoft.com
and filtered through it with a search box.

Miro

From: Scott M. on

"Miro" <miro(a)beero.com> wrote in message
> As well...
> I use this through windows mail as a newsgroup - so there was nothing
> needed to find.
>
> I just asked it to show me all the newsgroups on news.microsoft.com
> and filtered through it with a search box.
>
> Miro

???

What are you trying to say here?

From: John Whitworth on

"Eileen Schuh" <EileenSchuh(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> QUESTION: when searching files (while trying to find a product key),
> Windows
> XP crashes, freezes, shutsdown my computer. Is it a conspiracy--so I have
> PHONE them (are they that lonely) or whatsup?

Completely irrelevant rant for the most part. But to locate your old Product
key, if you are able to, Google for "Belarc Advisor", and install it from
the web onto the old machine. It will show you your product ID.

JW