From: Dave Warren on
In message <OhoWQpH8KHA.420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> was claimed to have wrote:

>Not strictly true. The _start_ on Microsoft's servers, and are not part of
>the overall usenet structure. Once MS turns them off, they will effectively
>go away sooner rather than later.

How do you figure?

News servers operate in a peer to peer mesh format, with every server
blasting every article to every peer. There is no "start" or "end", nor
any "master" server for any particular group.
From: Rob Moir on

"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> They are MSFT private groups which MSFT disseminate to the world at large.
> If MSFT turn them off they will disappear.

Which brings us back to people not understanding how newsgroups work quite
nicely.

Not any more, and no they won't, in reply to your two statements.

From: Rob Moir on

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message
> Not strictly true. The _start_ on Microsoft's servers, and are not part of
> the overall usenet structure. Once MS turns them off, they will
> effectively go away sooner rather than later.

Did a microsoft employee tell you that by any chance? I mean, it's still
wrong no matter where you heard it, but if someone at Microsoft told you
that then it proves they still don't understand usenet.

From: Jeff Gaines on
On 13/05/2010 in message
<1E1BB0B9-3499-46D4-B4FC-21B553C400FF(a)microsoft.com> Rob Moir wrote:

>"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>They are MSFT private groups which MSFT disseminate to the world at large.
>> If MSFT turn them off they will disappear.
>
>Which brings us back to people not understanding how newsgroups work quite
>nicely.
>
>Not any more, and no they won't, in reply to your two statements.

I think your are wrong :-)

MSFT said:
Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Whilst I fully accept that MSFT don't understand Usenet (nor the Internet)
they are private MSFT groups.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
From: Dave Warren on
In message <xn0gu3mo9c6fnww004(a)msnews.microsoft.com> "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:

>On 13/05/2010 in message
><1E1BB0B9-3499-46D4-B4FC-21B553C400FF(a)microsoft.com> Rob Moir wrote:
>

>>"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>>They are MSFT private groups which MSFT disseminate to the world at large.
>>> If MSFT turn them off they will disappear.
>>
>>Which brings us back to people not understanding how newsgroups work quite
>>nicely.
>>
>>Not any more, and no they won't, in reply to your two statements.
>
>I think your are wrong :-)
>
>MSFT said:
>Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
>All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
>October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
>starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
>active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
>Whilst I fully accept that MSFT don't understand Usenet (nor the Internet)
>they are private MSFT groups.

No, they're not. Microsoft's lack of understanding this fact doesn't
make it any more true.

Or more specifically, the microsoft.public hierarchy is peered with
usenet at large, so any and all news servers out there in the world who
decided to add the microsoft.public.* groups (I've yet to see any server
carrying general text groups who doesn't carry the microsoft.public
groups) are equal partners in the existence of these groups.

Unless usenet administrators at large decide to remove the groups,
they'll continue to function just fine, Microsoft shutting down their
server and/or removing newsgroups from their servers won't make any
difference at all to the rest of usenet.

In other words, users of msnews.microsoft.com will see groups phase out
of existance slowly. Users of any other usenet peer won't notice any
disruption at all.