From: hounslow3 on
Is there any way to migrate iTunes from my PC to a Mac with my iPhone.
When I first tried to synch the iPhone onto the new Mac, it knocked off
everything that was on it.

Is there anyway that I can get around this?

Thanks
From: BreadWithSpam on
"hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk" <hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Is there any way to migrate iTunes from my PC to a Mac with my
> iPhone. When I first tried to synch the iPhone onto the new Mac, it
> knocked off everything that was on it.
>
> Is there anyway that I can get around this?

Not in an Apple-approved way. You need to copy the content
from the PC to the Mac directly - not via the iPhone on the
way. You should have an external drive with your computer
backed up to it anyway. Just plug it into the Mac and copy away.

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 22:43, BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
> Not in an Apple-approved way. You need to copy the content
> from the PC to the Mac directly - not via the iPhone on the
> way. You should have an external drive with your computer
> backed up to it anyway. Just plug it into the Mac and copy away.

After doing so, you will need to remove the extension from one of the
file names. I forget which one. It's either .itl or .itdb
Windows iTunes expects the extension. Mac iTunes expects it
to NOT be there.

Although, it was more than eighteen months ago that I migrated
a library for someone from Mac to Win. They may have made it
more portable/fault-tolerant since then.

--
Wes Groleau

Hostility to TPRS
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1596
From: BreadWithSpam on
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> writes:
> On 07-07-2010 22:43, BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
> > Not in an Apple-approved way. You need to copy the content
> > from the PC to the Mac directly - not via the iPhone on the
> > way. You should have an external drive with your computer
> > backed up to it anyway. Just plug it into the Mac and copy away.
>
> After doing so, you will need to remove the extension from one of the
> file names. I forget which one. It�s either .itl or .itdb
> Windows iTunes expects the extension. Mac iTunes expects it
> to NOT be there.

I wasn't even thinking about moving the Library intact. Drop any
folder full of mp3 and other media files right onto your new iTunes
and iTunes will walk the directory and copy the files into the new
Library and catalog them for you that way. Of course, actually just
moving the Library as you are suggesting is probably faster.

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-08-2010 01:43, BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
> I wasn't even thinking about moving the Library intact. Drop any
> folder full of mp3 and other media files right onto your new iTunes
> and iTunes will walk the directory and copy the files into the new
> Library and catalog them for you that way. Of course, actually just
> moving the Library as you are suggesting is probably faster.

Maybe not. Unless it's a very big library, the re-import may not
take longer than finding that file and renaming it. The copying
should be about the same. The library move, though, will preserve
any changes the owner has made (editing genre, making playlists,
album art that iTunes couldn't find, preferences, etc.)

--
Wes Groleau

“Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read
and then attack what it didn't say?”
-- WWG (where else but Usenet)