From: AES on
I'm about to transfer most of my life from my trusty 2007 vintage
MacBook, still running Tiger, to a new MacBook Pro 15" with Snow Leopard
factory installed.

Last time I moved between machines (OS 9 iBook to Tiger MacBook), I just
hooked old machine up in Target Disk mode, told Migration Assistant to
"Go!", and pretty much everything worked beautifully.

But this time, the old machine has both a number of third-party apps and
utilities I'd like to keep, preferably along with their settings -- like
DragThing, XMenu, Mathematica, Eudora, a TeX installation, several Adobe
apps, etc -- but also probably a lot of cruft that's accumulated in 3 or
4 years of daily use.

Question is: should I just transfer all my old files (everything in my
User folder anyway) over from old machine to new using Migration
Assistant, then try to clean up cruft on the new machine?

Or, is it worth the trouble to fire up the new machine, connect old
machine in Target Disk mode, and start either cautiously copying stuff
over or reinstalling apps or utilities if I have original DVDs or disk
images -- gradually rebuilding the new machine?

Any advice on this?

(And, is there a built-in Uninstaller in Snow Leopard? Or a recommended
third party Uninstaller for it?)
From: nospam on
In article <siegman-733E8D.11201602082010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> Question is: should I just transfer all my old files (everything in my
> User folder anyway) over from old machine to new using Migration
> Assistant, then try to clean up cruft on the new machine?
>
> Or, is it worth the trouble to fire up the new machine, connect old
> machine in Target Disk mode, and start either cautiously copying stuff
> over or reinstalling apps or utilities if I have original DVDs or disk
> images -- gradually rebuilding the new machine?

use migration assistant. it works *very* well. just about everything is
copied.

> (And, is there a built-in Uninstaller in Snow Leopard? Or a recommended
> third party Uninstaller for it?)

uninstall by dragging to trash and the few exceptions come with their
own uninstaller, e.g., adobe creative suite. there is also very little
need to uninstall anything since all it does is take up space if it's
not used. there is no registry corruption or any of that nonsense.
From: Michael Kallweitt on
AES wrote:

> I'm about to transfer most of my life from my trusty 2007 vintage
> MacBook, still running Tiger, to a new MacBook Pro 15" with Snow Leopard
> factory installed.
>
> Last time I moved between machines (OS 9 iBook to Tiger MacBook), I just
> hooked old machine up in Target Disk mode, told Migration Assistant to
> "Go!", and pretty much everything worked beautifully.
>
> But this time, the old machine has both a number of third-party apps and
> utilities I'd like to keep, preferably along with their settings -- like
> DragThing, XMenu, Mathematica, Eudora, a TeX installation, several Adobe
> apps, etc -- but also probably a lot of cruft that's accumulated in 3 or
> 4 years of daily use.

Some time ago, I migrated from an iMac G4 (OS X Version 10.3.9) to a MacBook
Intel C2D (OS X Version 10.5, at the time). Migration Assistant worked
<steve>like MAGIC</steve>, and all my settings, my apps, and even my Fink
installation ran on the new computer.

Therefore, if you don't want to risk losing some carefully adjusted prefs, or
run into problems with file permissions or the like, I'd suggest that you give
MA a chance. You still got your old computer (and a backup, hopefully) to
transfer files manually, should anything go wrong.

> (And, is there a built-in Uninstaller in Snow Leopard? Or a recommended
> third party Uninstaller for it?)

To uninstall what? There are 3rd party apps to remove leftovers from deleted
applications.

--
www.wasfuereintheater.com - Neue Theaterprojekte im Ruhrpott
"As an artist, I'm reporting the big things and the small things. And
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <siegman-733E8D.11201602082010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'm about to transfer most of my life from my trusty 2007 vintage
> MacBook, still running Tiger, to a new MacBook Pro 15" with Snow Leopard
> factory installed.
>
> Last time I moved between machines (OS 9 iBook to Tiger MacBook), I just
> hooked old machine up in Target Disk mode, told Migration Assistant to
> "Go!", and pretty much everything worked beautifully.
>
> But this time, the old machine has both a number of third-party apps and
> utilities I'd like to keep, preferably along with their settings -- like
> DragThing, XMenu, Mathematica, Eudora, a TeX installation, several Adobe
> apps, etc -- but also probably a lot of cruft that's accumulated in 3 or
> 4 years of daily use.
>
> Question is: should I just transfer all my old files (everything in my
> User folder anyway) over from old machine to new using Migration
> Assistant, then try to clean up cruft on the new machine?
>
> Or, is it worth the trouble to fire up the new machine, connect old
> machine in Target Disk mode, and start either cautiously copying stuff
> over or reinstalling apps or utilities if I have original DVDs or disk
> images -- gradually rebuilding the new machine?
>
> Any advice on this?

Migration Assistant has an option to transfer applications, as well as
users.

> (And, is there a built-in Uninstaller in Snow Leopard? Or a recommended
> third party Uninstaller for it?)

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: JF Mezei on
Use migration assistant.

Afterwards, on your new mac, run the Utilities/System Profiler and get
the list of all applications. You should then be able to see which are
"classic" applications which would no longer work on Leopard. You can
delete those manually.

Before you do this, remember to install Rosetta on your new Mac. It
doesn't come pre-installed anymore. If you have any PPC apps left, you
will need it. It is in the Leopard DVD. (Leopard = Snow Leopard for the
purposes of this message).

Note that migration assistant doeasn't do EVERYTHING. For instance, the
NFS mounts are now done differently, this has to be done manually. Same
with various "defaults write" commands you may have had to customise
your system, enable services such as telnet etc.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: New iTunes Oddity
Next: iTunes Genre