From: The Mad Ape on
Hello

I have a new box with Windows 7 and a fresh install of VS 2008. I
imported a VB 2005 project that was previously created on an XP box into
VB 2008. The process seemed to work fine. There were 60 error messages
with the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPack reference. All that I did was
remove the reference and then re-add it and all error messages were gone.

So I thought all was fine. I only posted the above so you can see what I
did because I have run into what I think is an unrelated problem.

I ran the program on the 2008 box in debug mode and am getting 0 error
messages. However the VB 2008 version can not read the
System.Data.SqlServerCe databases. A list box is supposed to populate on
program launch. It is not. Yet I use the same exact data on the VB 2005
box and the list box populates fine.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Where do I start to look for the
problem? Most perplexing to my Friday Afternoon Brain Cramp. Weird
science man!

Thanks

TMA
From: The Mad Ape on
The Mad Ape wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a new box with Windows 7 and a fresh install of VS 2008. I
> imported a VB 2005 project that was previously created on an XP box into
> VB 2008. The process seemed to work fine. There were 60 error messages
> with the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPack reference. All that I did was
> remove the reference and then re-add it and all error messages were gone.
>
> So I thought all was fine. I only posted the above so you can see what I
> did because I have run into what I think is an unrelated problem.
>
> I ran the program on the 2008 box in debug mode and am getting 0 error
> messages. However the VB 2008 version can not read the
> System.Data.SqlServerCe databases. A list box is supposed to populate on
> program launch. It is not. Yet I use the same exact data on the VB 2005
> box and the list box populates fine.
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on? Where do I start to look for the
> problem? Most perplexing to my Friday Afternoon Brain Cramp. Weird
> science man!
>
> Thanks
>
> TMA

I see one difference between the 2 projects on the reference
System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

VB 2008 = version 3.5.0.0
VB 2005 = version 9.0.242.0

So that must be the problem but I have no idea how to fix this because
no errors are thrown. I went through the code to open the DB and it is
like it is completely ignored in VB 2008.

TMA
From: The Mad Ape on
On 11/12/2009 1:04 PM, The Mad Ape wrote:
> The Mad Ape wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a new box with Windows 7 and a fresh install of VS 2008. I
>> imported a VB 2005 project that was previously created on an XP box
>> into VB 2008. The process seemed to work fine. There were 60 error
>> messages with the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPack reference. All that
>> I did was remove the reference and then re-add it and all error
>> messages were gone.
>>
>> So I thought all was fine. I only posted the above so you can see what
>> I did because I have run into what I think is an unrelated problem.
>>
>> I ran the program on the 2008 box in debug mode and am getting 0 error
>> messages. However the VB 2008 version can not read the
>> System.Data.SqlServerCe databases. A list box is supposed to populate
>> on program launch. It is not. Yet I use the same exact data on the VB
>> 2005 box and the list box populates fine.
>>
>> Can anyone explain what is going on? Where do I start to look for the
>> problem? Most perplexing to my Friday Afternoon Brain Cramp. Weird
>> science man!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> TMA
>
> I see one difference between the 2 projects on the reference
> System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
>
> VB 2008 = version 3.5.0.0
> VB 2005 = version 9.0.242.0
>
> So that must be the problem but I have no idea how to fix this because
> no errors are thrown. I went through the code to open the DB and it is
> like it is completely ignored in VB 2008.
>
> TMA

Anyone have any idea? I just added VS 2008 to a Vista box (the problem
above happened on a Windows 7 box) and although Compact Framework 3.5
sp1 is installed, I can't add reference to compact SQL. What the heck is
going on? I tried doing a repair on both of my 2008 installations and
nothing...notta.

I am very confused. Is there a step-by-step somewhere that shows me how
to properly configure and add reference to SqlServerCE? I am at wits end
here.

TMA
From: The Mad Ape on
On 14/12/2009 1:51 PM, The Mad Ape wrote:
> On 11/12/2009 1:04 PM, The Mad Ape wrote:
>> The Mad Ape wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have a new box with Windows 7 and a fresh install of VS 2008. I
>>> imported a VB 2005 project that was previously created on an XP box
>>> into VB 2008. The process seemed to work fine. There were 60 error
>>> messages with the Microsoft Visual Basic PowerPack reference. All that
>>> I did was remove the reference and then re-add it and all error
>>> messages were gone.
>>>
>>> So I thought all was fine. I only posted the above so you can see what
>>> I did because I have run into what I think is an unrelated problem.
>>>
>>> I ran the program on the 2008 box in debug mode and am getting 0 error
>>> messages. However the VB 2008 version can not read the
>>> System.Data.SqlServerCe databases. A list box is supposed to populate
>>> on program launch. It is not. Yet I use the same exact data on the VB
>>> 2005 box and the list box populates fine.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain what is going on? Where do I start to look for the
>>> problem? Most perplexing to my Friday Afternoon Brain Cramp. Weird
>>> science man!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> TMA
>>
>> I see one difference between the 2 projects on the reference
>> System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
>>
>> VB 2008 = version 3.5.0.0
>> VB 2005 = version 9.0.242.0
>>
>> So that must be the problem but I have no idea how to fix this because
>> no errors are thrown. I went through the code to open the DB and it is
>> like it is completely ignored in VB 2008.
>>
>> TMA
>
> Anyone have any idea? I just added VS 2008 to a Vista box (the problem
> above happened on a Windows 7 box) and although Compact Framework 3.5
> sp1 is installed, I can't add reference to compact SQL. What the heck is
> going on? I tried doing a repair on both of my 2008 installations and
> nothing...notta.
>
> I am very confused. Is there a step-by-step somewhere that shows me how
> to properly configure and add reference to SqlServerCE? I am at wits end
> here.
>
> TMA

I am using 64-bit OS on both Win 7 and Vista

TMA