From: Ian Piper on
Hi all,

Don't know if any of you have looked at these things, but I have just
installed a Mimo 710 USB display on my Mac Mini. I have been using this
as a headless server for a while via Screen Sharing, but had a few
problems with this setup. I thought a mini monitor would be a good
solution, and so it seems to be. The Mimo 710 fits nicely on the top of
the Mac Mini and the display is surprisingly readable. Anyway, for the
record, in case anyone is interested in this, these USB monitors work
fine as the only display on a Mac Mini. Just install the DisplayLink
driver, reboot and then plug in the display.

Ian.

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:30:06 +0100, Ian Piper <ianpiper(a)mac.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Don't know if any of you have looked at these things, but I have just
>installed a Mimo 710 USB display on my Mac Mini. I have been using this
>as a headless server for a while via Screen Sharing, but had a few
>problems with this setup. I thought a mini monitor would be a good
>solution, and so it seems to be. The Mimo 710 fits nicely on the top of
>the Mac Mini and the display is surprisingly readable. Anyway, for the
>record, in case anyone is interested in this, these USB monitors work
>fine as the only display on a Mac Mini. Just install the DisplayLink
>driver, reboot and then plug in the display.

I was looking at those (again) just yesterday, but a hundred quid for
a 800x480 screen is outside my range for a toy. If it were 1024x640
I'd be much more tempted!

I rather fancy the touchscreen ones too... even more expensive, and
the Mac touchscreen driver for them is another $30.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the Complete Works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know