From: cheryl c cheryl on
Hi,
I am an adult education teacher and the following questions came up in class:
1. When using a text box on a slide and making bullets, the text that is
continued to the 2nd line is not indented. Why is this?
2. Why when you ask for a font replacement, you get an error stating "you
selected a single byte font to replace a double byte font." Why is this? Is
it because the one selected for the replacement is not installed?
3. When using Translation, why does the "insert button" show for some
languages and copy shows for other languages?
4. When creating a text box, put words in the box and select justify, the
text left aligns. Why does it not justify?
5. With ruler turned on, and nothing selected on slide, ruler started on the
left at -5. Why is this?
Please advise so I can give my class answers this Saturday. Thank you.
From: Troy on
1. indents are controlled from the ruler (may need to be turned on: VIEW >>
RULER (check mark to see it). My guess is the master slide does not have the
needed indent setup.

2. PowerPoint's replace fonts feature is unable to handle unicode fonts
(which should be banished from all computers), so it is a limitation of the
application.

3. (uncertain)

4. This most likely connects with your #5. The text box itself has
non-standard settings. Right click the text box, select FORMAT SHAPE >> TEXT
BOX >> check the VERTICAL ALIGNMENT selection (top centered is not what you
want) >> also check the INTERNAL MARGIN (typical is .1" or .05")

5. See #4

--
Troy @ TLC
MS PowerPoint MVP

From: Steve Rindsberg on

> 2. Why when you ask for a font replacement, you get an error stating "you
> selected a single byte font to replace a double byte font." Why is this? Is
> it because the one selected for the replacement is not installed?

No, it's because PowerPoint won't allow you to replace a double-byte font with
a single-byte font (the double byte might be Japanese text, and replacing it
with a single byte font ... which probably won't have Japanese characters ....
will turn the text into gibberish.

I don't agree with Troy and I'll bet even money that he's got Unicode fonts
installed on his PCs. What needs a good thrashing is the Mac version of
PowerPoint, which seems to insist on a couple of far east fonts in PPT files,
whether or not it really needs the silly things.

There's a really elaborate procedure you can go through to rid the presentation
of these silly things, but for most of us the best solution is to ignore 'em.

> 4. When creating a text box, put words in the box and select justify, the
> text left aligns. Why does it not justify?

Do you have multiple lines of text in the text box? Justified text will leave
the last line of each paragraph left justified (rather than spread one or two
words w a a y out.

If there's only one line of text, it's the last line in the paragraph, so it
won't be changed.

If you really want the text to spread wall to wall, try the Distributed option
(to the right of the Justify icon in PPT 2007)

> 5. With ruler turned on, and nothing selected on slide, ruler started on the
> left at -5. Why is this?

The ruler starts at 0 in the middle of the slide and goes up from there in both
directions. This is normal (if a bit unintuitive). PPT's done this since
roughly the time Cro-Magnon hominids chased the Harvard Graphics Neanderthals
off life's stage.

Note that it doesn't say -5 ... it just goes up to 5 in both directions. On
the other hand, if you're seeing something different, shout out, ok?

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/