From: Jean-Pierre Bidon on
Hi to all
I received a ppt file - so a 2003 version - from a correspondant in the
Netherland. I am in France (may be - ? - the fact that the countries are
different has smthg to do with the problem).
I can't open it meither with a 2003 powerpoint nor with a 2007 powerpoint,
and same negative result with a powerpoint viewer.
The document itself was originally created by a 2003 powerpoint, then
modified by a 2007 powerpoint, but saved in ppt (ie 2003 version).
When I double click on the document, it cannot be opened (id when I select
"open" inside of the software), and an error lmessage appears that say:
"Powerpoint ne peut pas lire � partir de <arborescence et nom du fichier>.
Aucun convertisseur de texte n'est install� pour ce type de fichier"
That means: " Powerpoint cannot read this file. No text converter is
installed for this type of file"
My question are:
- what is this text converter that is mentionned?
- I tried to download such a text converter, but didn't find any?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Jean-Pierre Bidon

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <eG8KYT4xKHA.4492(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Jean-Pierre Bidon wrote:
> Hi to all
> I received a ppt file - so a 2003 version - from a correspondant in the
> Netherland. I am in France (may be - ? - the fact that the countries are
> different has smthg to do with the problem).
> I can't open it meither with a 2003 powerpoint nor with a 2007 powerpoint,
> and same negative result with a powerpoint viewer.
> The document itself was originally created by a 2003 powerpoint, then
> modified by a 2007 powerpoint, but saved in ppt (ie 2003 version).
> When I double click on the document, it cannot be opened (id when I select
> "open" inside of the software), and an error lmessage appears that say:
> "Powerpoint ne peut pas lire � partir de <arborescence et nom du fichier>.
> Aucun convertisseur de texte n'est install� pour ce type de fichier"
> That means: " Powerpoint cannot read this file. No text converter is
> installed for this type of file"
> My question are:
> - what is this text converter that is mentionned?
> - I tried to download such a text converter, but didn't find any?

The text converter message is usually nonsense. I think we get it because
PowerPoint tries to identify the file type by its extension (.PPT, for
example) or its contents. If it can't do that, it tries to open it as a text
file, but of course it's NOT a text file, so it complains about missing a
text converter.

Usually, the message actually means that you've got a corrupted PowerPoint
file. I'd ask your friend in the Netherlands to ZIP the PowerPoint file and
send you the ZIP file. That will give more protection against corruption.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/