From: zymo on
I went into Control Panel/System to view my domain, to see if I can set up a
network with another computer (both names have to match) (This is a work
laptop) I hit another button, I think said create a network. I saw the word
WORKGROUP, and a check mark next to it. Thinking that that was the name of
the network and it was already set up, I hit ok, It took a few seconds and
then said I had to reboot. When I did, It now doesn't let me back into
Windows. It doesn't show a domain in the drop down. In other words it doesn't
even have the name of the computer as one of the options, or my work domain.
I can't get to Safe Mode.
I need a way to get the data off the hard drive, before I send it back,
because all they will do is probably reimage it.

Help.

Thanks
From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?enltbw==?= <zymo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I went into Control Panel/System to view my domain, to see if I
> can set up a network with another computer (both names have to
> match) (This is a work laptop) I hit another button, I think said
> create a network. I saw the word WORKGROUP, and a check mark next
> to it. Thinking that that was the name of the network and it was
> already set up, I hit ok, It took a few seconds and then said I
> had to reboot. When I did, It now doesn't let me back into
> Windows. It doesn't show a domain in the drop down. In other words
> it doesn't even have the name of the computer as one of the
> options, or my work domain. I can't get to Safe Mode.
> I need a way to get the data off the hard drive, before I send it
> back, because all they will do is probably reimage it.

The easiest way is to boot from a CD like Bart PE or Ultimate Boot CD
for Windows then back up your data to a USB drive or over the network.

BartPE:
<http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/>
UBCD4Win:
<http://www.ubcd4win.com/>

The problem with the above is that you need to spend some time to build
the disk. Alternatively, you can boot from a Live Linux CD like
Knoppix and do the same. It comes as a pre-built .iso file ready to
burn:

Knoppix:
<http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>

Alternatively, you might try the following from the Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article:

"You cannot log on after you remove the computer from the domain"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317049>

HTH,
John

From: JimC on
You should still be able to login - if the domain is unavailable, as it will
be - the local profile will be used to log you in to the PC. Just using your
previous username and password that you used for the laptop - not the
domain, should work.... or any account that was previously setup on the
laptop.

Why are you unable to access safe-mode?
Cheers,
Jim

From: John Wunderlich on
"JimC" <justonside(a)live.co.uk> wrote in

> You should still be able to login - if the domain is unavailable,
> as it will be - the local profile will be used to log you in to
> the PC. Just using your previous username and password that you
> used for the laptop - not the domain, should work.... or any
> account that was previously setup on the laptop.

If he truely removed the computer from the domain, then all the cached
domain credentials were wiped/invalidated as well. Without re-joining
the computer to the domain, his only option is a local logon.

-- John