From: Margaret Bartley on
Using a WinXP sp3 stand-alone machine connected directly to a broadband ISP.

In order to participate in the Code Project Tech Summit on Visual Studio
2010, I went to a website for a compatability check, to verify the required
software was installed on my machine.

In addition, it checked that the Firewall and Proxy servers were open, which
they were. I thought "Open? What's open?"

I went into my Firewall settings, which were on, with no exceptions. The
only services that internet users could access was the VAIO Media SSDP
Multicast for my LOcal Area Connection.

Is that Multicast the only thing that the Tech Summit needed access to? Is
that what they meant by "Firewall and Proxy Servers open"?

Are there other settings that do not show up in the Windows Firewall dialog
box that Microsoft (and possibly others) are accessing without our knowing
it?

Are there other places in the WinXP environment where Firewall settings are
controlled?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
First make sure what you Modem is.
Many Modems given by ISPs are actually a Combo Modem/Router.
If yours is a Router too check the Code Project Tech Summit website for
instructions concerning Router connection.
Otherwise you better get yourself a Router. These days connecting directly
with a Modem to Cable/Internet connection is a Big risk.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Andy on
true unless you use a good fire wall like i do.
mine even spoofs my ip address so what you can find when you trace it is a
fake ip:)

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
It is a big difference whether the Internet "probing" is done on the WAN
side of a Router that does not run application that can be penetrating.
Or when the probing is done on the computer. Beside the Firewall, other
applications and the OS are running. As a result the probability of finding
a way In is Much Higher No matter how good the software Firewall is.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Anteaus on
Plus, PC firewalls are only software, and software NEVER goes wrong.

A hardware-based filter is much more secure, since if that goes wrong you
generally lose the NAT function and hence the connection, rather than losing
the security.