From: mark on
On Jun 30, 12:48 pm, HarpingOn <Harpin...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Anyone use one? The reviews on mobilefun are completley polarised. I'm
> looking at this for a home broadband installation where ADSL is a
> not-quick option, and had in mind the high gain directional antenna from
> that site, initialy for an E220, but I'm open to other suggestions.
>
> <http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Mobile-Broadband.htm>
>
> I sometimes get HSDPA with the e220 and sometimes WCDMA from O2. Voda
> only have 2G service for me, 3 is very marginal for any connection.
> Orange is hopeless. O2 looks like the best bet but I'd like the
> connection to stablalise on HSDPA if I can. I've seen speed checkers
> report  my O2 mobile broadband speed as 2MBps which I think is quite
> good. Better than my <1Mbps ADSL anyway. I'm with SKY ADSL so I'd drop
> that down to the free or very-low-cost option to run long downloads on,
> and use the mobile BB for teh snappy web browsing.
>
> I didn't know if this belonged in uk.t.mobile or uk.t.broadband. Hope
> it's okay in here!
>
> Thanks

Hi,

The E220 is an old beast now, but still very good. It may be worth
searching for a firmware upgrade for the device. I can't find the
firmware for O2 UK, Ireland has it here ...
http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/firmware+update.
Make sure that you make note of your configuration (APN, username etc)
or get this from the O2 website before you start.

I downloaded a generic firmware load from the Huawei site (somewhere),
but can't find it now.

Cheers,
Mark