From: Todd Allcock on
At 25 Jul 2010 16:58:12 -0600 Roger 2008 wrote:

> > One thing I'll give RDM kudos for is the ease of connecting- my user
> > name/password are always ready to go- tap the RDM icon, tap connect,
and
> I'm
> > in.
> >
> > LMI requires logging in to their mobile-formatted website with
> > email/password, selecting your desired PC, then entering the PC
account's
> > username/password to log in.
>
> With pcAnywhere for mobile you have to select what computer you want to
> connect to first and then tap a "Connect" button.

Like with RDM that's the advantage of an App For That. LogMeIn, on WinMo
anyway, is browser based. There's an installed plug-in called by IE
Mobile, but you have to log in the LMI site first, so they know what
account and PC(s) you're connecting to.

On Android and iOS, LogMeIn is an app, so the actual login process is
probably much easier.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

> Like with RDM that's the advantage of an App For That.

":an App For That?" I can tell somebody has been watching too many iphone
commercials.

FYI if you use the desktop version of "Remote Desktop Connection" then you
will find a check box for "Desktop background." If you have that checked
then you can use a remote connection to change the desktop background.

I wonder if there is a registry edit someone can do to Remote Desktop Mobile
to have it send the phone the Desktop background too.

From: Roger 2008 on

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

> On Android and iOS, LogMeIn is an app, so the actual login process is
> probably much easier.

I found out today there is one more thing you can do with Remote Desktop
Mobile that you probably can't do with LogMeIn and that is to take advantage
of the "Wake on Lan" function because you can easily put in a local IP
address into RDM.

Now I need to find a program that sends "magic packets" from my PPC. I see
there are a few of them out there but haven't been able to try one yet.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 08 Aug 2010 19:04:25 -0600 Roger 2008 wrote:

> "Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message
> >
> > On Android and iOS, LogMeIn is an app, so the actual login process is
> > probably much easier.
>
> I found out today there is one more thing you can do with Remote Desktop
> Mobile that you probably can't do with LogMeIn and that is to take
advantage
> of the "Wake on Lan" function because you can easily put in a local IP
> address into RDM.

I'm not 100% sure how the LMI connection works-I assume the LMI client on
the controlled PC tells LMI it's IP address periodically, so LMI must
have to connect to the PC via the home network, so wake on LAN probably
works. (My PC is on 24/7 with all peripherals going to sleep after
inactivity.)

LMI certainly does a few neat tricks though. I got in to my PC after it
had locked up the other day. (Probably one of those great XP "partial
lockups" where you can still move your mouse pointer around the screen
but can't actually do much else.) RDM couldn't get in, but I got in with
LMI. I couldn't interact with the desktop (other than move the mouse!),
but was able to issue a reboot command from LMI (this required getting in
from another PC- the pocket version of LMI has no reboot feature.)

From: Roger 2008 on

> (My PC is on 24/7 with all peripherals going to sleep after
> inactivity.)

I have one laptop running Windows 2000 that stays on 24/7 but I would like
to have access to a laptop running XP Pro but I don't like to leave that one
on since I've already had to replace the fan on it once.

After messing with WOL and seeing that I can wake up the laptop running XP
Pro from Hibernation I know exactly how I'll set that laptop up now. Plus I
have another idea on how to see the desktop on that laptop using RDM.

> (this required getting in
> from another PC- the pocket version of LMI has no reboot feature.)

pcAnywhere for mobile can Transfer Clipboard, Send Ctrl+Alt+Del to Host,
Restart Host Computer and Refresh Display so maybe it isn't so bad after
all.

I still can't believe how easy it was to get WOL working. It was just one
setting in the Device Manager.