From: Todd Allcock on

"Roger 2008" <rwpcs(a)att.net> wrote in message

> "Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message
>> At 23 Jul 2010 22:59:47 -0600 Roger 2008 wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, the vxUtil port scanner hangs on my X1 when using it via cellular.
>
> I just tried vxUtil on my X1 and remembered that it is very slow on
> cellular
> so I just scan one or two ports at a time.

Ahh, I couldn't remember the RD port off the top of my head, so I scanned
3380-90, and gave up and forced closed it after 20 minutes. Of course,
because DynDNS wasn't working right, I was scanning the wrong remote address
anyway!

> vxUtil helped me find a problem a long time ago when I was trying to get
> vxWeb to work on port 80 so I hadn't used it for a while myself. Plus,
> you
> don't need an IP address to scan ports as you probably found out.

I entered (what I thought was) the IP of my computer. I was pretty secure
in the knowledge that my cell data plan had no ports blocked- I was really
trying to determine if the RD port on my PC was accessible from outside my
home network. Apparently it is, since it's working fine after updating the
DynDNS software.

>> Having said that, for overall useability, it really pales next to
>> LogMeIn. With LMI I can zoom in and out and resize the desktop display.
>> (And it doesn't rearrainge all of desktop icons!) I can really only
>> imagine using RDM if I need PC audio to play over the mobile.
>
> RDM certainly isn't for everything so I use pcAnywhere for mobile when I
> want to connect to a computer with a lot of desktop icons and don't care
> about the missing sound. pcAnywhere for mobile will not let you zoom in
> but
> it will let you zoom out to see a screen much bigger than the screen on
> your
> phone and pcAnywhere for mobile works with XP Home.

45 year-old eyes + no zoom + the Sony X1's 3-inch 800x480 display = "What
does that say?" ;)

LogMeIn isn't perfect either- there are only a small number of fixed zoom
levels, and they can only be selected from a menu. But I tend to zoom to
150%, and then scroll around the desktop.

I'm a cheapskate, so I have to ask- is PcAnywhere really $200 better/easier
than the free solutions out there?

>> Maybe I'm missing something, but when I remote in to my PC with RDM, the
>> PC desktop switches to 800x480 to match the phone's screen size. (The
>> display change is what moves the desktop icons around.)
>
> But RDM looks just like a desktop computer when you go to full screen in
> landscape mode and I like that part of it the most. My biggest complaint
> about RDM is stereo sound is reduced to mono.

RDM looks like my netbook, because it forces my PC to resize its display to
match my phone. With LogMeIn, my PC keeps its actual desktop size (though I
can resize it if I want to,) and I can zoom in and scroll through it.
Different strokes, I guess.

LogMeIn Pro does the stereo-to-mono trick too, IIRC. I presume it's to
reduce bandwidth. Full-bandwidth audio would slow screen refresh rates,
particularly over EDGE or slower. (I've used LogMeIn on a 14.4k Verizon QNC
connection. Very slow redraws but it worked!)

Although a little outdated, you might find this article from PPC/Smartphone
Magazine an interesting read:
http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blogs/3/1571
and a comparison chart here:
http://www.winmobiletech.com/122006PPCPCRemoteControl/PPC2PCRemoteRoundupTable.htm

MS Mobile Device MVP Werner Ruotsalainen did a pretty nice roundup of the
various RD clients for Windows Mobile. Other than for the entertainment
value, you might stumble upon one that has some feature you need that your
current clients lack. His positive review of LMI is pretty much what
stopped me looking for "better" alternatives.

From: Larry on

> 45 year-old eyes + no zoom + the Sony X1's 3-inch 800x480 display =
> "What does that say?" ;)

"Notebook!"

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: Roger 2008 on
Replied from alt.cellular.attws

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message

> 45 year-old eyes + no zoom + the Sony X1's 3-inch 800x480 display = "What
> does that say?" ;)

I don't have any problem seeing the screen but trying to tap on the exact
spot I need to tap on isn't always easy. That is where a zoom would come in
handy.

> I'm a cheapskate, so I have to ask- is PcAnywhere really $200
better/easier
> than the free solutions out there?

Probably not. The reason why I bought pcAnywhere was more of a tradition
because I bought it before they made a mobile phone version and then I
stayed with Symantec when the mobile phone version came out.

There is one flaw with pcAnywhere for mobile that I have noticed. When you
first start using pcAnywhere the left/right scroll bar will not show up
until you bring up the onscreen keyboard and then close the onscreen
keyboard. Before I learned the trick to getting the left/right scroll bar
to show up I would drag the screen to go sideways.

> LogMeIn Pro does the stereo-to-mono trick too, IIRC. I presume it's to
> reduce bandwidth. Full-bandwidth audio would slow screen refresh rates,
> particularly over EDGE or slower. (I've used LogMeIn on a 14.4k Verizon
QNC
> connection. Very slow redraws but it worked!)

Mono is ok because if were unbearable I'd figure out a way to use my
Slingbox for stereo.

> Although a little outdated, you might find this article from
PPC/Smartphone
> Magazine an interesting read:
> http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blogs/3/1571
> and a comparison chart here:

http://www.winmobiletech.com/122006PPCPCRemoteControl/PPC2PCRemoteRoundupTable.htm

Thanks and both of those were great links. Too bad they didn't like
pcAnywhere.

> MS Mobile Device MVP Werner Ruotsalainen did a pretty nice roundup of the
> various RD clients for Windows Mobile. Other than for the entertainment
> value, you might stumble upon one that has some feature you need that your
> current clients lack. His positive review of LMI is pretty much what
> stopped me looking for "better" alternatives.

FYI the version of RDM that I have been running for a long time came from
one of Werner's links. The earlier version of RDM that I used wouldn't
share the Storage Card with an XP Pro computer.

As for the icons moving around on me with RDM. One way I dealt with that
was to setup my Internet Server with only 6 desktop icons and the rest of
the icons that I use were placed in the quick launch toolbar. On that
computer the desktop background shows up with RDM but I can't get the
desktop background to show up with XP Pro even when I use a .BMP.

From: Todd Allcock on

> Replied from alt.cellular.attws
>
> "Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote in message
>>
>> 45 year-old eyes + no zoom + the Sony X1's 3-inch 800x480 display = "What
>> does that say?" ;)
>
> I don't have any problem seeing the screen but trying to tap on the exact
> spot I need to tap on isn't always easy. That is where a zoom would come
> in
> handy.

Agreed. I was playing with it again last night and had a heck of a time
trying to resize a windows!

>> MS Mobile Device MVP Werner Ruotsalainen did a pretty nice roundup of the
>> various RD clients for Windows Mobile. Other than for the entertainment
>> value, you might stumble upon one that has some feature you need that
>> your
>> current clients lack. His positive review of LMI is pretty much what
>> stopped me looking for "better" alternatives.
>
> FYI the version of RDM that I have been running for a long time came from
> one of Werner's links. The earlier version of RDM that I used wouldn't
> share the Storage Card with an XP Pro computer.
>
> As for the icons moving around on me with RDM. One way I dealt with that
> was to setup my Internet Server with only 6 desktop icons and the rest of
> the icons that I use were placed in the quick launch toolbar. On that
> computer the desktop background shows up with RDM but I can't get the
> desktop background to show up with XP Pro even when I use a .BMP.

The desktop background doesn't show up on LMI either- apparently, according
to Werner, that's a default that can be changed, but I never cared enough to
look for it. I guess that would have value if my main goal using remote
desktop was to fool my friends into thinking my phone ran XP! ;)

One thing I'll give RDM kudos for is the ease of connecting- my user
name/password are always ready to go- tap the RDM icon, tap connect, and I'm
in. LMI requires logging in to their mobile-formatted website with
email/password, selecting your desired PC, then entering the PC account's
username/password to log in. Last night, for example, I used RDM for a
quick session, and was in and out before I'd have been finished logging in
to LMI. For an extended session, though, I'll stick to LMI- the pain of
logging in leads to a better overall user experience. Werner mentioned
using an IE Favorite to quicken the log in process, but they changed the
mobile site and that trick hasn't worked in a long time.

From: Roger 2008 on

> I guess that would have value if my main goal using remote
> desktop was to fool my friends into thinking my phone ran XP! ;)

When I connect RDM to my computer where the desktop graphic shows on my
phone it shows a graphic this is 640x480 for Windows 2000 Server. :-)

> One thing I'll give RDM kudos for is the ease of connecting- my user
> name/password are always ready to go- tap the RDM icon, tap connect, and
I'm
> in.

Unfortunately it doesn't do that if you use RDM to connect to Windows 2000
Server. RDM will enter the name for you and you have to enter the password
via keyboard.

> LMI requires logging in to their mobile-formatted website with
> email/password, selecting your desired PC, then entering the PC account's
> username/password to log in.

With pcAnywhere for mobile you have to select what computer you want to
connect to first and then tap a "Connect" button. On the desktop version of
pcAnywhere you can place an icon on your desktop so all you have to do to
connect is click on the desktop icon.

> Last night, for example, I used RDM for a
> quick session, and was in and out before I'd have been finished logging in
> to LMI. For an extended session, though, I'll stick to LMI- the pain of
> logging in leads to a better overall user experience. Werner mentioned
> using an IE Favorite to quicken the log in process, but they changed the
> mobile site and that trick hasn't worked in a long time.

Bummer.

Talking about Windows 2000 Server on an Asus netbook. Yesterday I learned
how to get rid of the last bang in the device manager that people post about
all the time. You can see how many people have tried to get rid of the last
bang in the device manger and failed by searching for "unknown device on
microsoft aspi-compliant."

The trick was to take an XP install where there were no bangs in the device
manager and then load the driver file for Windows 2000 from (XP
Partition)/windows/system32/drivers. Now that the last bang has been
removed I can even use an Asus program called Super Hybrid Engine to adjust
the speed that I want a Windows 2000 Server netbook to run at.